VIDEO: Whitaker expressed concerns about Cohen case while serving as DOJ chief
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by CNN.com:
(CNN) — Former acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker privately raised questions with his staff about the scope of the Southern District of New York’s case against former Trump attorney Michael Cohen, according to House Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler and Republican aides.
Whitaker thought some of the campaign finance charges against Cohen were “specious,” pointing to the failed effort to prosecute former Sen. John Edwards on similar charges, according to GOP aides who were in the room during Whitaker’s closed-door interview with Judiciary Committee leaders on Wednesday. But the Republican aides said he did not speak to the US Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York about the case, instead saying he had internal discussions with Justice Department staff about his concerns.
The article goes on to state the following:
Whitaker also did not deny talking with President Donald Trump about Cohen’s case, in which the President was implicated in two federal crimes involving hush-money payments to silence his alleged affairs, Nadler told reporters Wednesday. The GOP aides said Whitaker did not remember having any conversations with Trump about the Cohen probe, and he said he would have remembered any contentious exchanges with the President about the case.
House Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler says former Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker would not deny reports that President Trump called him to discuss the Michael Cohen case, CNN’s @mkraju reports https://t.co/idlDYXgLsn pic.twitter.com/0UPAVlT9ZV
— CNN (@CNN) March 13, 2019
Whitaker also said he could not recall any conversations with Trump about Cohen case; he told committee leaders he believed he would have remembered if they had a tense conversation. https://t.co/hIx56jpHLU
— Manu Raju (@mkraju) March 13, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit CNN.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting CNN.com
Trending on DML News App
- EXCLUSIVE: Comey responds after Trump orders declassification of surveillance documents
- REPORT: Schiff lambasts Trump’s order to intel agencies to cooperate with Barr probe
- BREAKING: Facebook announces decision on viral doctored Pelosi video
- POLL: Do you support Trump’s move to declassify documents related to the surveillance of his campaign?
- BREAKING: Trump strikes, orders declassification of documents, cooperation with Barr
- REPORT: Pelosi’s daughter launches Twitterstorm, rips altered videos
- REPORT: Edward Snowden issues statement after Julian Assange charged with espionage
- REPORT: Mother and twin daughters starved to death in apartment
- BREAKING: Lone Republican blocks House passage of disaster relief bill
- VIDEO: White House aide points out ‘fake news’, calls for end to attempts to smear Trump