VIDEO: Thousands protest as Quebec proposes ban on religious clothing for public workers
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
MONTREAL — A proposal to ban many public employees from wearing religious clothing is creating a fiery debate in the Canadian province of Quebec, where people are fighting to freely practice their religion — or to be free of it.
The measure introduced late last month would prohibit civil servants, teachers, nurses, bus drivers, lawyers and other people who interact with the public from wearing symbols of religion while at work.
The article goes on to state the following:
It would apply to Sikh turbans, Christian jewelry and Jewish yarmulkes, but the focus of the controversy has been over hijabs worn by many Muslim women in Quebec.
“The proposed legislation will affect Muslims more than other groups as they are the fastest growing religious group,” said Nelson Wiseman, a political science professor at the University of Toronto. Muslims represent about 3% of Quebec’s 8.3 million people.
Thousands of demonstrators attended a recent march in Montreal to protest the measure, with some holding signs saying, “No one tells women what they can wear” and “It’s what’s in my head, not on my head, that matters.”
Quebec proposes ban on religious clothing for public workers https://t.co/YgtnKXwp36
— Tanna Kasperowicz (@TinytownGazette) April 14, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: Country singer icon declares support for O’Rourke
- VIDEO: Schiff declares ‘time is running out’ for Mueller
- REPORT: State House REJECTS popular vote proposal
- BREAKING: Trump announces major shakeup on Secretary of Defense appointment
- REPORT: Former Trump Cabinet secretary and former GOP senator pay big bucks to attend Biden fundraiser
- BREAKING: Trump makes major announcement on deportations, DML responds
- TRUMP TWEET: Something weird going on at Fox
- VIDEO: Mayor of border town overrun by illegal immigrants blasts federal government
- BREAKING: Feds swarm ship in Philly port, announce ‘one of largest cocaine seizures in U.S. history’ [VIDEO]
- UPDATE: DOJ allegedly intervenes to change where Manafort will be incarcerated