VIDEO: Judge in same-sex marriage denied communion by Catholic priest
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
A Michigan Catholic church denied Holy Communion to a state district court judge because she is married to a woman.
Judge Sara Smolenski, the chief judge of the state’s 63rd District Court, told CNN that she was called by the Rev. Scott Nolan, the priest at St. Stephen Catholic Church in Grand Rapids, Michigan, on Nov. 23. During the call, he requested that she no longer attend communion at the church, saying “’It was good to see you in church on Sunday. Because you and Linda are married in the state of Michigan, I’d like you to respect the church and not come to communion,'” the outlet reported.
The article goes on to state the following:
Smolenski was baptized at the church. Her parents were married there in the 1940s, and she and her nine siblings attended the church’s school when they were children. Communion is a holy and sacred act in Catholicism.
Below are interviews with the priest, who stands by his decision, and Judge Smolenski.
The Diocese of Grand Rapids also issued a statement in support of Nolan’s decision. They wrote, “No community of faith can sustain the public contradiction of its beliefs by its own members. This is especially so on matters as central to Catholic life as marriage, which the Church has always held, and continues to hold, as a sacred covenant between one man and one woman.”
Our office of communications has issued the following statement on behalf of Bishop Walkowiak: https://t.co/HNC4BHprMf
— Grand Rapids Diocese (@GRDiocese) November 27, 2019
— WOOD TV8 (@WOODTV) November 27, 2019
— The Hill (@thehill) November 30, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: Florida sheriff ‘highly recommends’ what home owners should do to looters
- BREAKING: Senate votes on House-passed Paycheck Protection Program reform bill
- VIDEOS: Bronx streets descend into chaos as looters run wild: ‘Fordham is on fire’
- REPORT: DOJ files formal appeal with Supreme Court over House access to Mueller grand jury material
- VIDEO: Ilhan Omar claims rioters were ‘terrorized’ by National Guard, police
- EXCLUSIVE: Single mom, physician assistant posts blistering open letter to Gov. Cuomo [READ]
- REPORT: Twitter restricts tweet from Rep. Matt Gaetz for ‘glorifying violence’
- OpEd: STONE: Now That I’m Ungagged, I’d Like To Say A Few Things About My Prosecution
- REPORT: Trump gives Grenell something special after he steps down
- VIDEO: Joe Biden Speaks Up About Suggestions to Abolish ICE