VIDEO: Gov. Cuomo gives passionate response to Trump’s remarks on speculation of presidential race
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo responded Monday afternoon to President Trump’s earlier remarks about a possible campaign between the two of them.
Cuomo’s daily coronavirus press briefings have prompted an outpouring of speculation that he might run for president. Fox News host Tucker Carlson predicted that Democrats may actually favor Cuomo as the nominee instead of Biden.
In an interview with Fox & Friends Monday morning, President Trump was asked about the possibility of Cuomo running against him for the Oval Office.
“I wouldn’t mind running against Andrew. I’ve known Andrew for a long time. I wouldn’t mind that, but I’ll be honest, I think he’d be a better candidate than Sleepy Joe,” Trump declared.
Cuomo responded to the remarks when a reporter asked him about it at his Monday coronavirus press briefing, first saying he takes Trump’s comments as a compliment.
“As a far the president’s comment about having a political contest with me, I am not engaging the president in politics. My only goal is to engage the president in partnership. This is no time for politics,” Cuomo said.
“I’m not going to get into a political dispute with the president. I’m not going to rise to the bait of a political challenge. I’m not running for president. I was never running for president. I’ve said from day one that I wasn’t running for president. I’m not running for president now,” he added emphatically.
“I just want partnership to deal with this,” he continued.
“I’m not going to engage in politics, not because I’m unwilling to tangle, but because I think it’s inappropriate, it’s counterproductive, and it’s anti-American. Forget the politics! We have a national crisis! We are at war! There is no red and blue – it’s red, white and blue,” he said, his voice rising.
WATCH his full remarks in the video below:
NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Pres. Trump: “I am not engaging the president in politics. My only goal is to engage the president in partnership…I’m not going to get into a political dispute with the president.” https://t.co/WE7OSi25s4 pic.twitter.com/dGX5O6JdpB
— ABC News (@ABC) March 30, 2020
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: Ted Cruz torches Rosenstein on Russia probe in blistering grilling
- EXCLUSIVE: NYPD commissioner shares video of cops finding bricks left for looters
- BREAKING: Senate votes on House-passed Paycheck Protection Program reform bill
- VIDEO: 2 NYPD cops shot, another stabbed in neck during ‘unprovoked’ attack
- REPORT: Democrat senator calls for Barr to resign over order to clear protests
- REPORT: Florida city becomes first to ban gun sales and carry during ’emergency declaration’
- REPORT: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to NFL team, ‘Change your name’
- BREAKING: Pelosi says House will soon announce sweeping police reform legislation
- TRUMP TWEETS: Rips into Sen. Lisa Murkowski with fire and fury!
- VIDEOS: Bronx streets descend into chaos as looters run wild: ‘Fordham is on fire’