VIDEO: Buttigieg: The Electoral College is ‘One of the Manipulations’ The GOP Uses to ‘Keep Their Agenda in Play’
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by FreeBeacon:
South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg (D.) on Monday night referred to the Electoral College as “one of the manipulations of political structure” that the Republican Party uses to keep their agenda going in Washington, D.C.
Buttigieg appeared on MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow Show to discuss his presidential campaign and some of his policy views, including the Electoral College, which he believes should be abolished.
The article goes on to state the following:
Host Rachel Maddow asked Buttigieg whether he was concerned he was giving the Trump era Republican Party an idea on starting to amend the Constitution or start changing the structure of the Supreme Court. Buttigieg said Senate Republicans have already been changing the numbers of justices on the Supreme Court, referring to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R., Ky.) blocking a vote on then-President Barack Obama’s Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland.
Buttigieg went on to say that “most Americans” don’t approve of what Republicans are doing, claiming, “It’s precisely for that reason that they have to interfere with democracy with things like voter suppression or clinging on an electoral college that overrules the will of the American people.”
“It is precisely because the American people by-and-large don’t want what they are selling, that they are relying on manipulations of our political structure in order to keep their agenda in play,” Buttigieg said.
During his official 2020 campaign launch on Sunday, Buttigieg echoed his previous calls for the Electoral College to be eliminated.
“We can’t say it’s much of a democracy when twice in my lifetime the Electoral College has overruled the American people,” Buttigieg said. “Why should our vote in Indiana only count once or twice in a century? Or your vote in Wyoming or New York?”
Buttigieg first called for the Electoral College to be eliminated back in January, where he said, “The electoral college needs to go because it’s made our society less and less democratic.”
To get more information about this article, please visit FreeBeacon. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting FreeBeacon
Trending on DML News App
- EXCLUSIVE: Comey responds after Trump orders declassification of surveillance documents
- REPORT: Schiff lambasts Trump’s order to intel agencies to cooperate with Barr probe
- POLL: Do you support Trump’s move to declassify documents related to the surveillance of his campaign?
- BREAKING: Facebook announces decision on viral doctored Pelosi video
- BREAKING: Trump strikes, orders declassification of documents, cooperation with Barr
- REPORT: Pelosi’s daughter launches Twitterstorm, rips altered videos
- REPORT: Edward Snowden issues statement after Julian Assange charged with espionage
- REPORT: Mother and twin daughters starved to death in apartment
- BREAKING: Lone Republican blocks House passage of disaster relief bill
- REPORT: New details emerge on judge who upheld subpoenas on Trump’s bank records