UPDATE: DOJ allegedly intervenes to change where Manafort will be incarcerated
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
President Trump’s former campaign chairman Paul Manafort will reportedly not be moved to Rikers Island after all.
Earlier this month, a New York state judge granted a request from New York City District Attorney Cy Vance Jr. to transfer the 70-year-old Manafort, who is already serving time for federal crimes, to Rikers Island while he awaits trial on a separate state case. Rikers Island is a New York prison notorious for violence.
The article goes on to state the following:
But last week, Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey A. Rosen sent a letter to prosecutors in Manhattan letting them know that he was monitoring where Manafort would be held.
Federal prison officials then told the district attorney’s office Monday that he would not be held at Rikers while awaiting trial, but rather will be held in federal custody in Manhattan or Pennsylvania, according to the New York Times.
— Kirsten Danis (@kirstendanis) June 17, 2019
It is very unusual – perhaps entirely unprecedented – for such a high-ranking DOJ official to be involved in the specific prison designation for a particular inmate. Anyone else in this situation goes to Rikers and that’s that.https://t.co/wtHrP66hCp
— Elie Honig (@eliehonig) June 18, 2019
Former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort won’t be transferred to New York City’s Rikers Island prison as expected, following intervention from Justice Department officials, the New York Times reportshttps://t.co/sf9LrPplNp
— Axios (@axios) June 18, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: Schiff makes announcement on releasing impeachment inquiry transcripts to the public
- REPORT: Impeachment gets real: McConnell gives Senate Republicans tutorial on Trump trial
- REPORT: Ilhan Omar Continues To Divert Campaign Funds To Alleged Boyfriend’s Company
- VIDEO: Trump called Pelosi a ‘third-rate politician’ during Syria meeting, top Democrats say
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham threatens to become ‘Trump’s worst nightmare’
- TRUMP TWEET: Releases statement on death of Elijah Cummings
- BREAKING: 4th defendant in case involving Rudy Giuliani associates arrested at airport
- BREAKING: House votes on resolution rebuking Trump over withdrawal of U.S. forces from Syria
- VIDEO: Pelosi doubles down on Trump ‘meltdown’: ‘We have to pray for his health’
- Trump Tweets: ‘The Do Nothing Democrats’ and ‘Nervous Nancy’s Unhinged Meltdown’ [PICTURES]