UPDATE: Death toll rises after apparent cartel siege on Mexican town

Sign up for our newsletter
BY TEAM DML / DECEMBER 2, 2019 /

GET the DML NEWS APP (FREE) Click Here

Below is a report that DML News App gives a 4 OUT OF 4 STARS trustworthiness rating. We base this rating on the following criteria:

  • Provides named sources
  • Reported by more than one notable outlet
  • Does not insert opinion or leading words
  • Includes supporting video, direct statements, or photos

Click here to read more about our rating system.

As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by CBSNEWS.COM:


Mexico City — A Mexican border governor said Monday the death toll from a weekend battle between drug cartel members and security forces has risen to 22. Coahuila Governor Miguel Riquelme said two additional gunmen died overnight. He did not say whether they had died of injuries from Saturday’s gunbattle or in subsequent operations.

Police and soldiers have been sweeping the area around Villa Union for those involved. Riquelme told Radio Formula Monday that all hostages have been rescued.

The article goes on to state the following:

Riquelme said 16 gunmen and four police officers were killed. He said two civilians also were slain by gunmen after being abducted.

RELATED — VIDEO: TOM HOMAN WEIGHS IN ON LATEST CARTEL VIOLENCE, MEXICO NEEDS HELP

The gunmen “stormed the town of 3,000 residents in a convoy of trucks,” CBS News reports, targeting local government offices. They left bullet-riddled trucks behind bearing the Spanish initials of the Cartel of the Northeast gang (C.D.N.).

Some of the gunmen stole vehicles and kidnapped civilians to “help guide them on dirt tracks out of town, the governor said,” CBS News reports.

The two murdered civilians were a firefighter and a municipal engineer. At least one of the vehicles the gunmen stole was a hearse headed for a funeral, local newspaper Zocalo of Saltillo reported.

In the videos below, gunfire can be heard in quiet, residential areas after residents recorded the chilling sounds and posted them on social media.

Former Acting ICE Director Tom Homan spoke out about the violent incident Monday, saying it may be time for the United States to support the efforts of Mexican forces as they battle the powerful drug cartels.

The cartels have gone on multiple murderous rampages against Mexican police officers, politicians, reporters, and civilians. For example, late last month, Cartel gunmen stormed the General Hospital of Salvatierra, located about 160 miles northwest of Mexico City, dragging a patient away. The man was later discovered dismembered.

President Donald J. Trump suggested in an interview with former Fox News host Bill O’Reilly last week that some Mexican cartels should be designated as Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTO), and said his administration is “in the process” of doing that.

To get more information about this article, please visit CBSNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.

DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting CBSNEWS.COM

Sign up for our newsletter

GET the DML NEWS APP (FREE) Click Here

1 Comment

  1. Candace Schermerhorn December 2nd, 2019 at 3:24 pm

    Can President Trump go in there under terrorism without permission?

    Reply

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *