REPORT: White House defends Trump’s controversial meeting with Hungarian PM
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by YAHOO.COM:
WASHINGTON —The White House dismissed criticism from human rights activists and members of Congress concerned that President Trump’s Monday meeting with Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán represented a stamp of approval for the authoritarian leader.
“President Trump’s meeting with Prime Minister Orbán is about affirming our alliance and defending the freedom and prosperity we enjoy as democracies. This visit is part of our overall strategy to reengage in Central Europe,” a senior Trump administration official told Yahoo News when asked if the meeting was an expression of support for Orbán’s anti-immigration agenda that has explicitly aimed at maintaining ethnic and religious purity in Hungary.
The article goes on to state the following:
Trump briefly acknowledged the drama swirling around Orbán as they sat together in the Oval Office before a bank of reporters and cameras.
The president said hosting Orbán was a “great honor.”
This afternoon, President Trump welcomed Prime Minister Viktor Orban of Hungary to the Oval Office. pic.twitter.com/OgdONwKRB6
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) May 13, 2019
George W. Bush dodged it. Barack Obama refused it. But on Monday President Trump will grant Viktor Orban, Hungary’s far-right prime minister, his first private audience with a president at the White House since he met Bill Clinton there in 1998. https://t.co/K74UJdwOHJ
— The New York Times (@nytimes) May 12, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit YAHOO.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting YAHOO.COM
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: Watch: Students Say Obama Immigration Quote Is ‘Racist’
- REPORT: Green card scam thwarted by ‘best sex ever’ text that arrived as immigration agent was reviewing phone
- REPORT: Brothers, aged 1 and 3, drown after falling into family pool
- REPORT: Justin Bieber makes public appeal to Trump
- VIDEO: Megan Rapinoe comments on possibility of running for office
- REPORT: Smollett Tries To Get Special Prosecutor Dropped, Makes New Claim
- REPORT: ‘I just made it up’… Florida Dem admits lying about Pulse shooting
- VIDEO: Knifeman storms on stage and STABS Tomb Raider star
- REPORT: Twitter Suspends Angel Mom for Posting About Illegal Immigration
- VIDEO: Biden blames Trump for 7-year-old’s ‘racist’ question