REPORT: US drops appeal dismissing female genital mutilation charges
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by FOXNEWS.COM:
DETROIT – The U.S. Justice Department said a federal ban on genital mutilation should be rewritten to protect it from constitutional challenges after a judge in Detroit threw out charges against members of a Muslim sect.
The government recently withdrew an appeal of a decision by U.S. District Judge Bernard Friedman in the first such federal prosecution in the country. In a letter Wednesday to Congress, Solicitor General Noel Francisco called genital mutilation an “especially heinous practice” but said the law needs to be changed to mesh with U.S. Supreme Court precedent.
The article goes on to state the following:
“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that half a million women and girls in the United States have already suffered FGM or are at risk for being subjected to FGM in the future,” Francisco said.
— WCCO – CBS Minnesota (@WCCO) April 13, 2019
The U.S. Justice Department won’t appeal a decision by a Detroit federal judge who threw out female genital mutilation charges against members of a Muslim sect. https://t.co/aubu66t0hP
— Local 4 WDIV Detroit (@Local4News) April 13, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit FOXNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting FOXNEWS.COM
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: McConnell: Trump is ‘on to something’
- VIDEO: AOC, Ilhan Omar roll out new label for President Trump
- REPORT: Does this photo prove Trump tormentor’s marriage a sham? Omar with husbands
- VIDEO: Elijah Cummings goes ballistic at DHS head during hearing
- REPORT: Hillary Clinton slams Trump rally: ‘The time has come again’
- BREAKING: Senator hospitalized after fall
- VIDEO: Trey Gowdy: ‘Nobody cares what Congress does … ‘
- REPORT: New hashtag for Ilhan Omar starts trending after crowd at Trump rally chants ‘Send her back’
- REPORT: How Ilhan Omar tried to shut down rumors she married her BROTHER
- VIDEO: Pro-impeachment Dem walks off live CNN interview: ‘I have to run’