REPORT: Trump lawyer disputes Dem rationale for requesting tax returns
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
An attorney for President Trump wrote to the Treasury Department on Monday to push back against Democrats seeking to obtain the president’s tax returns, saying the request by a top lawmaker is not for any legislative purpose.
William Consovoy, who is representing Trump in the tax fight with Democrats, wrote to the general counsel of the Treasury to refute House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard Neal’s (D-Mass.) argument from two days earlier that the panel is authorized by law to see a copy of the president’s returns from 2013 to 2018.
The article goes on to state the following:
“That it is limited to a single President, seeks tax information from before the President took office, asks no questions about IRS policy, and does not even wait for the IRS to finish its ongoing examinations (and any resulting appeals) reveals that Chairman Neal’s request is nothing more than an attempt to exercise constitutional authority that Congress does not possess,”Consovoy wrote in a letter to Brent McIntosh, general counsel at the Treasury Department.
Consovoy argued that Neal’s reasons for seeking Trump’s returns are inadequate and that “no one actually believes” that the committee chairman is seeking the documents for a legislative purpose. Lawmakers’ motives are relevant to their request, he added.
He also said that “Congress has no constitutional authority to act like a junior-varsity IRS, rerunning individual examinations or flyspecking the agency’s calculations.”
Per @MajorCBS, Trump lawyer William Consovoy has written to the general counsel of the Treasury Deparment arguing that @RepRichardNeal’s request for Trump’s tax returns is illegal. pic.twitter.com/iMAE6xpp2c
— Rebecca Kaplan (@RebeccaRKaplan) April 15, 2019
CLICK THE LINK BELOW to read more from The Hill.
— The Hill (@thehill) April 15, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: AOC, Ilhan Omar roll out new label for President Trump
- REPORT: Does this photo prove Trump tormentor’s marriage a sham? Omar with husbands
- VIDEO: McConnell: Trump is ‘on to something’
- VIDEO: Elijah Cummings goes ballistic at DHS head during hearing
- REPORT: Here are the 95 Democrats who voted to support impeachment
- REPORT: Hillary Clinton slams Trump rally: ‘The time has come again’
- REPORT: House Dems Unload On ‘The Squad’ — ‘It Makes People’s Skin Crawl’
- BREAKING: Senator hospitalized after fall
- VIDEO: Trey Gowdy: ‘Nobody cares what Congress does … ‘
- REPORT: New hashtag for Ilhan Omar starts trending after crowd at Trump rally chants ‘Send her back’