REPORT: Trump lawyer disputes Dem rationale for requesting tax returns
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
An attorney for President Trump wrote to the Treasury Department on Monday to push back against Democrats seeking to obtain the president’s tax returns, saying the request by a top lawmaker is not for any legislative purpose.
William Consovoy, who is representing Trump in the tax fight with Democrats, wrote to the general counsel of the Treasury to refute House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard Neal’s (D-Mass.) argument from two days earlier that the panel is authorized by law to see a copy of the president’s returns from 2013 to 2018.
The article goes on to state the following:
“That it is limited to a single President, seeks tax information from before the President took office, asks no questions about IRS policy, and does not even wait for the IRS to finish its ongoing examinations (and any resulting appeals) reveals that Chairman Neal’s request is nothing more than an attempt to exercise constitutional authority that Congress does not possess,”Consovoy wrote in a letter to Brent McIntosh, general counsel at the Treasury Department.
Consovoy argued that Neal’s reasons for seeking Trump’s returns are inadequate and that “no one actually believes” that the committee chairman is seeking the documents for a legislative purpose. Lawmakers’ motives are relevant to their request, he added.
He also said that “Congress has no constitutional authority to act like a junior-varsity IRS, rerunning individual examinations or flyspecking the agency’s calculations.”
Per @MajorCBS, Trump lawyer William Consovoy has written to the general counsel of the Treasury Deparment arguing that @RepRichardNeal’s request for Trump’s tax returns is illegal. pic.twitter.com/iMAE6xpp2c
— Rebecca Kaplan (@RebeccaRKaplan) April 15, 2019
CLICK THE LINK BELOW to read more from The Hill.
— The Hill (@thehill) April 15, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: Supreme Court conservatives signal possible support for census citizenship question
- REPORT: FBI found Hillary Clinton’s emails in Obama White House, former top official says
- VIDEO: Woman missing for five days is found alive in her wrecked car
- REPORT: State debating bill to ban ‘sanctuary city’ policies; ACLU warns people not to travel there if it passes
- VIDEO: Hillary Clinton breaks her silence on Mueller report, discusses potential Trump impeachment
- REPORT: Jacqui Saburido, who became the face of anti-drunk driving campaigns, dead at age 40 [VIDEOS]
- REPORT: Jordan demands answers over Democrats’ secret meetings about Trump-focused probes
- REPORT: Judge to block Trump administration’s rules targeting Planned Parenthood
- VIDEO: Piers Morgan has a message for Democrats wanting to impeach Trump
- REPORT: After Girl Held as ‘Slave’ for 16 Years in Texas, Captors Mohamed Toure and Wife get Light Sentence