REPORT: Trump expresses concern about suicide rate in relation to coronavirus restrictions tank economy
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
President Trump warned that the number of suicides could increase if he does not lift restrictions due to the coronavirus on daily life.
His administration is mulling whether to lift social distancing measures at the end of a 15-day period, and he has repeatedly said that the “cure should not be worse than the problem.”
The article goes on to state the following:
At his regular coronavirus briefing on Monday evening, he spelled out his dilemma to reporters: “You have tremendous responsibility. We have jobs. We have … people get tremendous anxiety and depression, and you have suicides over things like this when you have terrible economies. You have death probably in far greater numbers than the numbers we are talking about with regard to the virus.
Trump said leaders have “a double obligation.”
Referencing New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s press conference, DML said that businesses closing and finances being dire would cause a problem beyond just economic — it could cause a spike in suicides.
“The mental toll that this is taking on the country… there’s not a line item on the spreadsheet for that,” DML said.
Commenting on Cuomo’s instructions to residents, DML said, “He tells people ‘start making a plan for you being emotionally distraught. Start making a plan for your finances to be tougher.’
“People are going to start taking their lives,” DML said in exasperation.
— DMLNewsApp (@DMLNewsApp) March 23, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM
Trending on DML News App
- REPORT: New ‘hot spot’ state: Coronavirus cases jump 42 percent in one day
- REPORT: Romney joins Dem senator to send ‘warning’ to Trump
- REPORT: Scientists warn about one way COVID-19 can be transmitted
- REPORT: Experts, Trump advisers doubt White House coronavirus deaths estimate
- VIDEO: Healthy 39-year-old DJ died of coronavirus. What his young widow and daughter want you to know [PHOTOS]
- REPORT: Republicans rip ‘partisan’ Pelosi panel on coronavirus response: ‘This isn’t about oversight’
- TRUMP TWEETS: ‘Great news’ and big thanks in series of posts
- VIDEO: Bernie Sanders snaps at crying baby at campaign event
- REPORT: Biden Has Earned 11 Pinocchios From Fact-Checkers During Coronavirus Crisis
- VIDEO: WWII veteran recovers from coronavirus in time to celebrate 104th birthday [PHOTOS]