REPORT: Trump blocks appointment of Obama-nominated UN racism official
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by Politico:
The Trump administration will not nominate anyone to serve on a United Nations committee on racism, the latest sign of a U.S. retreat from international bodies and traditional human rights priorities.
A State Department official said the White House intervened to prevent the expected renomination of a human rights lawyer chosen by former President Barack Obama for the 18-member U.N. Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination.
The article goes on to state the following:
The official said the Trump administration may simply have run out of time to find a replacement before a deadline. Even so, the official added, “it cements the narrative that the Americans just don’t care about these kinds of things anymore.”
A senior Trump administration official, however, insisted otherwise.
“Although the United States did not nominate a candidate this year for election to the committee, that in no way diminishes our global leadership on efforts to eliminate racial discrimination,” the official said.
U.S. declines to renominate Gay McDougall—a key defender of the UN’s antisemitic Durban Racism Conference—to post on UN racism committee.
— Hillel Neuer (@HillelNeuer) April 14, 2019
The Trump administration will not nominate anyone to serve on a U.N. committee on racism, the latest sign of a U.S. retreat from international bodies and traditional human rights prioritieshttps://t.co/rpEFrEJGFC
— POLITICO (@politico) April 12, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit Politico. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting Politico
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: Militia leader allegedly said group was ‘training’ to kill Obama, Clinton, and Soros
- BREAKING: Supreme Court conservatives signal possible support for census citizenship question
- VIDEO: Woman missing for five days is found alive in her wrecked car
- FACT CHECK: Did Ilhan Omar Tweet ‘They Reap What They Sow’ During The Notre Dame Fire?
- REPORT: Ilhan Omar claims US forces killed ‘thousands’ of Somalis in resurfaced tweet
- VIDEO: Hillary Clinton breaks her silence on Mueller report, discusses potential Trump impeachment
- EXCLUSIVE: Marine warns of terror coming across US border [Video]
- REPORT: Tlaib Tweets ‘Happy Passover’ Message With Inappropriate Graphic
- REPORT: US military reviewing rules after soldiers on American soil surrendered pistol to Mexican troops
- EXCLUSIVE: Obama gets pounded for response to attack on Christians in Sri Lanka