REPORT: Top former Obama officials warn Dems over push for border crossing decriminalization
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
Top former Obama administration officials are warning Democratic presidential candidates to back off from their proposals to decriminalize border crossings, saying that it’s bad policy and a surefire general election loser that gives President Trump an opening on immigration.
In an op-ed in The Washington Post this week, former Obama Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said that decriminalization would attract hundreds of thousands of new migrants to the southern border. He described the proposal as “tantamount to declaring publicly that we have open borders.”
The article goes on to state the following:
Several of former President Obama’s top homeland security officials interviewed by The Hill went on the record to express shock and dismay after eight of the 10 Democratic presidential contenders on stage at the second night of the debate raised their hands when asked if they support the decriminalization of border crossings.
“We can’t go too far to the left for what people could describe as open borders,” said Marsha Catron, a former deputy assistant secretary at the Department of Homeland Security during the Obama administration.
“I think all of those people onstage who raised their hands will have to walk it back if they make it to the general election or the White House. I understand the emotion involved, we want for people to be treated humanely and with respect, and that’s not happening with the Trump administration. But Jeh Johnson, [former Homeland Security Secretary] Janet Napolitano, these people who have worked in these situations understand, you just can’t have it this way. It’s unworkable.”
CLICK HERE to read more of this report by The Hill.
Former DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson, who served under Obama, weighs in on immigration proposals floated by some Dem candidates in @washingtonpost op-ed: https://t.co/6Swq4VyxYi pic.twitter.com/fE6rYKrm2A
— Priscilla Alvarez (@priscialva) July 7, 2019
Jeh Johnson: Politics is drowning out consensus on immigration. It’s time for some straight talk. – The Washington Post https://t.co/SpTE45kx4r
— Jake Tapper (@jaketapper) July 6, 2019
Former DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson makes several excellent points in his column about the crisis on the Southern border. Well worth reading. https://t.co/7mvDKu6wpS
— Sen. Susan Collins (@SenatorCollins) July 8, 2019
Jeh Johnson believes Democratic candidates are playing into Trump’s hands by adopting immigration and border policies that are “unworkable“ and too far outside the mainstream. His new op-ed urges compromise and a better balance of border realism/idealism https://t.co/G33tcXxdbp
— Nick Miroff (@NickMiroff) July 6, 2019
— The Hill (@thehill) July 11, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: Schiff makes announcement on releasing impeachment inquiry transcripts to the public
- REPORT: Impeachment gets real: McConnell gives Senate Republicans tutorial on Trump trial
- REPORT: Ilhan Omar Continues To Divert Campaign Funds To Alleged Boyfriend’s Company
- VIDEO: Trump called Pelosi a ‘third-rate politician’ during Syria meeting, top Democrats say
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham threatens to become ‘Trump’s worst nightmare’
- BREAKING: 4th defendant in case involving Rudy Giuliani associates arrested at airport
- BREAKING: House votes on resolution rebuking Trump over withdrawal of U.S. forces from Syria
- VIDEO: Pelosi doubles down on Trump ‘meltdown’: ‘We have to pray for his health’
- Trump Tweets: ‘The Do Nothing Democrats’ and ‘Nervous Nancy’s Unhinged Meltdown’ [PICTURES]
- BREAKING: Democrat Congressman Elijah Cummings dies suddenly