REPORT: Tent courts set to open on border for US asylum seekers
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by YAHOO.COM:
EL PASO, Texas (AP) — The Trump administration is ready to open a tent court on the border to help handle tens of thousands of cases of asylum seekers forced to wait in Mexico, with hearings held entirely by videoconference.
The court, or “soft-sided” facility as U.S. officials call it, is scheduled to begin operations Monday in Laredo, Texas. Another is expected to open soon in Brownsville in the Rio Grande Valley, the busiest corridor for illegal crossings.
The article goes on to state the following:
The administration introduced its “Remain in Mexico” policy in San Diego in January and later expanded it to El Paso, but hearings there are conducted inside large buildings with normal courtrooms, and the judge usually appears in person.
About 40,000 non-Mexican asylum seekers have been forced to wait in Mexico while their cases wind through clogged U.S. immigration courts, according to the Mexican government.
The US is ready to open a tent court on the border to help handle tens of thousands of cases of asylum seekers forced to wait in Mexico, with hearings held entirely by videoconference. https://t.co/2rNgFybxK7
— AP West Region (@APWestRegion) September 11, 2019
The administration introduced its “Remain in Mexico” policy in San Diego in January and expanded to El Paso, Texas https://t.co/jmz2Q6Klyu
— Las Vegas RJ (@reviewjournal) September 11, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit YAHOO.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting YAHOO.COM
Trending on DML News App
- WATCH: Amazing takedown of suspect by K9 cop
- REPORT: Trump considering Doug Collins as nominee for top role, Collins responds
- REPORT: Trump impeachment drove record candidate recruitment, Republicans say
- REPORT: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle issue defiant statement at Queen over Sussex Royal brand
- VIDEO: Former Bernie Sanders consultant arrested after allegedly planting weapons in jail for ‘evil’ escape plot
- BREAKING: Jury in Harvey Weinstein case makes announcement on top two charges
- VIDEO: Tucker Carlson offers warning on what’s really attacking America
- EXCLUSIVE: Actor James Woods hits Pelosi in stinging rebuke over her Trump-Russia statement
- REPORT: School history lesson compares Trump to Nazis, communists
- POLL: Should the release of John Bolton’s book be BLOCKED?