REPORT: State senate backs effort to replace Electoral College with national popular vote
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by BANGORDAILYNEWS.COM:
AUGUSTA, Maine — The Maine Senate voted narrowly on Tuesday to join an interstate effort that would aim to undo the Electoral College in its current configuration by awarding presidential electors based on the national winner of the popular vote.
The bill from Senate President Troy Jackson, D-Allagash, passed the Senate in a 19-16 vote on Tuesday and faces further action in both chambers. If it becomes law, Maine would join 15 other jurisdictions in an interstate compact aimed at electing presidents by popular vote.
The article goes on to state the following:
Presidential elections are decided by the Electoral College, which gives small states an outsized influence by apportioning electors based on the members of a state’s congressional delegation. Five presidents — including Republican Donald Trump — have been elected without winning the popular vote. Maine is one of two states to award electors by congressional district.
— BDN Politics (@BDNPolitics) May 14, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit BANGORDAILYNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting BANGORDAILYNEWS.COM
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: AOC, Ilhan Omar roll out new label for President Trump
- REPORT: Does this photo prove Trump tormentor’s marriage a sham? Omar with husbands
- VIDEO: McConnell: Trump is ‘on to something’
- VIDEO: Elijah Cummings goes ballistic at DHS head during hearing
- REPORT: Here are the 95 Democrats who voted to support impeachment
- REPORT: Hillary Clinton slams Trump rally: ‘The time has come again’
- REPORT: House Dems Unload On ‘The Squad’ — ‘It Makes People’s Skin Crawl’
- BREAKING: Senator hospitalized after fall
- VIDEO: Trey Gowdy: ‘Nobody cares what Congress does … ‘
- REPORT: New hashtag for Ilhan Omar starts trending after crowd at Trump rally chants ‘Send her back’