REPORT: State House passes bill to award electoral votes to whoever wins the popular vote
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
The Democratic-led Virginia House of Delegates has passed legislation that seeks to award the state’s electoral votes to the presidential candidate that wins the national popular vote in an election.
The measure, also known as House Bill 177, passed the legislative chamber in a 51-46 vote on Tuesday after clearing the body’s Privileges and Elections Committee in a vote last week.
The article goes on to state the following:
If the legislation is passed by the Senate, where Democrats also hold control, and signed into law by the governor, Virginia would subsequently be entered into the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact.
“Under the compact, Virginia agrees to award its electoral votes to the presidential ticket that receives the most popular votes in all 50 states and the District of Columbia,” according to a bill summary. “The compact goes into effect when states cumulatively possessing a majority of the electoral votes have joined the compact.”
15 states and Washington, D.C., have entered the compact, according to National Popular Vote.
The movement needs another 74 electoral votes in order for the compact to take effect.
The Democratic-led Virginia House of Delegates has passed legislation that seeks to award the state’s electoral votes to the presidential candidate that wins the national popular vote in an election, writes The Hill. https://t.co/fWJCgYUKTx
— clevelanddotcom (@clevelanddotcom) February 12, 2020
“This is hilarious. This is only happening in blue states, which means when Trump DOES win the popular vote this year he’ll win the Electoral College in a landslide,” tweeted Phil Valentine.
This is hilarious. This is only happening in blue states, which means when Trump DOES win the popular vote this year he’ll win the Electoral College in a landslide.https://t.co/snQ7ubjcSC
— Phil Valentine (@ValentineShow) February 12, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: Black Guns Matter founder mocks potential Bloomberg-Clinton ticket with ‘SUPER’ nickname
- BREAKING: Top Pentagon official leaving Trump administration
- REPORT: Assange lawyer claims Trump offered pardon in exchange for this favor
- UPDATE: New details about Daytona 500 driver Ryan Newman following fiery crash
- First Look At Bloomberg’s Super Bowl Ad
- VIDEO: Meghan McCain gets into fiery spat with Joy Behar over Bloomberg
- VIDEO: Trump speaks out on AG Bill Barr
- REPORT: Romanian immigrant who once drove for Trump is in ICE custody
- REPORT: Attorney General Barr spokesperson posts statement
- REPORT: Michelle Obama shares throwback photo of herself as part of new voter campaign