REPORT: School cancels Darwin play after complaints from Christian parents
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by CBSNEWS.COM:
About 90 students were preparing to perform “Darwin Rocks!,” a musical about Charles Darwin and his theory of evolution, next month at Hartford Manor Primary School — a non-religious school in Cheshire. According to BBC News, six parents expressed concern over they portrayal of Christian views throughout the show, which is aimed at 7-to-11-year-olds.
Simon Kidwell, the head teacher of the school told the BBC that he received complains about the lyrics “bump and grind,” which refer to sexually suggestive dance moves. Three parents also believed a bishop who appears in one of the scenes is “mocked.” Some parents felt the show does not accurately represent Christian views on science and criticized its implication that students cannot pursue science and Christianity simultaneously.
The article goes on to state the following:
Some parents threatened to pull their children from the production, causing the school to cancel it altogether. The school board was not involved in the decision to drop the production, and the school teaches evolution, which parents had not previously complained about, according to Kidwell.
Several parents said they felt the school made the wrong choice in canceling the show. “It really does feel like a huge step backwards,” parent Alan McDonald told The Independent. “It doesn’t seem evenhanded or in any way right.”
— CBS News (@CBSNews) February 8, 2019
It’s a shame these children will no longer get to perform their play because it doesn’t conform to the narrow-minded religious views of just a few parents. ‘Darwin Rocks’ the musical, sounds like a fun and engaging way to teach evolution!https://t.co/t9ujkol9M1
— Humanists UK (@Humanists_UK) February 8, 2019
‘It’s not a surprise there has been some objection to the “mockery” of Christians, who are often depicted as anti-intellectual and anti-science.’ – Well yes, what could be more anti-intellectual and anti-science than faith? https://t.co/UsLObcVi9a
— Arthur Nichols (@MrArthurNichols) February 8, 2019
If believers in the Christian Faith are unable to freely express what they believe to be true, whether true or not, why is it that they should be subjected to a theory that has yet to be proven true.
— כְּנַנְיָ֫הוּ Ke’nanYâhûw (@MarcusSumes) February 8, 2019
Keep these fairy tales about evolution out of school and stop brainwashing children. Better yet, homeschool. Darwin in only one issue among many in the public education system that seeks to control the minds of kids.
— Whitney Kugel (@RedeemedWretch) February 8, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit CBSNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting CBSNEWS.COM
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: Florida sheriff just loses it while describing MASSIVE drug trafficking bust
- VIDEO: ‘Bombshell’ report on James Comey coming in two weeks, attorney says
- BREAKING: Twitter CEO called Rep. Ilhan Omar about Trump’s 911 tweet
- POLL: In a 2020 matchup, who would win: Trump or Biden?
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez suffers social media gaffe by criticizing photo of ‘GOP’ politician who is actually a Democrat
- BREAKING: Boston-area judge charged with helping undocumented immigrant elude ICE
- VIDEO: Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh is nowhere to be found, amid FBI raids
- REPORT: First woman elected to lead Dallas County GOP dies unexpectedly at 47
- BREAKING: Outrage erupts over $2M bill from North Korea for Otto Warmbier’s care
- REPORT: FBI, IRS agents search Baltimore Mayor’s homes, City Hall