REPORT: Progressives face steep odds in ousting incumbent Democrats
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
Progressive candidates are launching primary challenges against incumbents like Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Texas), though many will likely face a steep climb in capturing the same set of circumstances that propelled Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) to the House last year.
Justice Democrats, the group that backed Ocasio-Cortez, has already announced its support for challengers to Cuellar and Rep. Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.), but has yet to recruit more candidates or spell out how it intends to help support challengers. The group spent only $2.5 million in the 2018 campaign cycle.
The article goes on to state the following:
Meanwhile, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, the House Democrats’ campaign arm, has said that it will not do business with consultants who work with primary challengers, a restriction that has infuriated progressives.
Strategists also warn that incumbents are more prepared this time around than former 10-term Rep. Joseph Crowley (D-N.Y.) was when he was ousted by Ocasio-Cortez in 2018. Both Engel and Cuellar, for example, easily won reelection in 2018 and are proven, adept fundraisers.
— The Hill (@thehill) July 10, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: Melania Turns Heads In Gorgeous Black Pantsuit At WH Special Olympics Event
- UPDATE: Donald Trump: Rock Star Welcome for Ilhan Omar ‘Staged’ in Minnesota
- REPORT: Key Mueller witness indicted on child sex-trafficking charges
- VIDEO: Trump takes fresh aim at Omar after her vow to be his worst nightmare
- VIDEO: Devin Nunes expects ‘the worst’ from Mueller testimony
- VIDEO: Reporter asks Trump about plastic straws as Iran seizes two vessels
- VIDEO: Jim Jordan: Timing of final Carter Page FISA extension is ‘significant’
- VIDEO: Buttigieg Writes Off Donald Trump Supporters as ‘Committed Racists’
- REPORT: O’Rourke releases plan affecting Social Security
- REPORT: Dems decry Omar resolution defending Israel boycott