REPORT: Police make new announcement on Gilroy Garlic Festival gunman
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by DailyMail:
The teenager who opened fire with an assault rifle at a weekend food festival in Northern California, killing three people, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, autopsy results announced on Friday found.
Police had originally asserted that the gunman, Santino William Legan, 19, was shot dead by police officers who were on patrol at Sunday’s Gilroy Garlic Festival and confronted Legan when he began his rampage.
Gilroy Police Chief Scot Smithee insisted the three officers who exchanged fire with Legan were still heroes, saying the casualty toll would likely have been higher had they not engaged the gunman as quickly as they did, within seconds after he began shooting.
The article goes on to state the following:
Speaking to reporters on Friday, Smithee said the suspect turned his gunfire from the crowd to the officers as they reached him, and he was struck by ‘several’ shots returned by the police, none of whom was wounded in the exchange.
The gunman initially fell to his knees, then to the ground. But he managed at some point to squeeze off a final round from his gun into his own head, Smithee said.
The autopsy showed specifically that Legan died from a self-inflicted gunshot fired into his mouth, said Cindy Gallego, a spokeswoman for the Santa Clara County coroner’s office.
CLICK HERE to read more from the Daily Mail.
#UPDATE: @GilroyPD Chief Scot Smithee says it appears that after the #Gilroy festival shooter was shot multiple times by police & dropped to the ground, he managed to fire off a round. The coroner says that self-inflicted gunshot to the head is what killed the 19 y/o gunman. pic.twitter.com/xO8d0INgwp
— Heather Holmes (@HeatherKTVU) August 2, 2019
Gilroy Police chief Scot Smithee said “the gunman was hit multiple times by officers,” and sometime after that he took his own life by shooting himself in the head. That information comes via the Santa Clara County Coroner’s Office. pic.twitter.com/sZ696ZeSJY
— Christopher Salas (@KSBWChristopher) August 2, 2019
UPDATE: After he was shot by 3 @GilroyPD, alleged @GilroyGarlicFes shooter Santino William Legan “was able to get a round off & he shot himself. And it sounds like that round was to the head,” says Chief Scot Smithee, adding, “I don’t think that really changes much of anything.” pic.twitter.com/AresyKWHnR
— Henry K. Lee (@henrykleeKTVU) August 2, 2019
REVEALED: Gilroy Garlic Festival gunman shot himself dead after killing a six-year-old boy, a 13-year-old girl and a college graduate https://t.co/XEiKrsmFQ6
— Daily Mail US (@DailyMail) August 3, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit DailyMail. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting DailyMail
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: Susan Boyle performs ‘I Dreamed a Dream’ a Decade After Famed Audition
- REPORT: Omar lashes out in Twitter rant after Nadler criticizes her for sharing controversial cartoon
- REPORT: Ilhan Omar Mocks Republicans For ‘Losing Their Minds’
- REPORT: Former Kirsten Gillibrand staffers want senator to quit presidential campaign
- REPORT: Border Patrol busts woman with over $20K worth of fentanyl in her underwear
- REPORT: Three ship commanders fired in two days, raising questions about Navy’s ‘zero-error tolerance’ culture
- BREAKING: Republican announces plan to primary challenge Trump
- REPORT: Pelosi again breaks with Democrats on impeachment
- BREAKING: Justice Department inspector general reportedly completes FISA abuse investigation [VIDEO]
- REPORT: AOC takes heat from Heartland conservatives over her mocking video about Electoral College