REPORT: Photos Of Travelers Coming In And Out Of The US Have Been Hacked And Stolen
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by BUZZFEEDNEWS.COM:
A US Customs and Border Protection subcontractor suffered a data breach that exposed the photos of tens of thousands of travelers coming in and out of the United States, the agency revealed Monday, in what it described as a “malicious cyber-attack.”
The database of identifying traveler photos and license plate images had been transferred to a CBP subcontractor’s network without the federal agency’s authorization or knowledge, CBP explained. The subcontractor’s network was then hacked, though CBP said its own systems had not been compromised.
The article goes on to state the following:
The compromised photos were taken of travelers in vehicles coming in and out of the US through specific lanes at a single Port of Entry over a one and a half months period. Fewer than 100,000 people had their information compromised by the attack, according to a law enforcement official.
No other identifying information was included with the photos and no passport or other travel document photos were compromised, the official said. Images of airline passengers from the air entry and exit process were also not involved.
CBP just released a statement saying that last month, it learned that a copy of the US government’s database of traveler photos had been compromised. https://t.co/9HekVDEP5j
— Davey Alba (@daveyalba) June 10, 2019
SCOOP: Compromised CBP photos were taken of travelers in vehicles coming in and out of the US through specific lanes at a single Port of Entry over a one and a half months period.
Story w/ the latest: https://t.co/ufmrqwiuJ8
— Hamed Aleaziz (@Haleaziz) June 11, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit BUZZFEEDNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting BUZZFEEDNEWS.COM
Trending on DML News App
- POLL: Is Fox Moving to the Left?
- REPORT: Major retailer experiencing widespread register outages; customers irate
- Trump newest tweet warns of a stock market crash
- REPORT: Jim Acosta’s Embarrassing Book Signing
- REPORT: Nationwide ‘Impeach Donald Trump’ Rallies Launch Saturday
- REPORT: Flight forced to change course after passenger assaulted flight attendant
- BREAKING: Trump accuses New York Times of treason
- REPORT: DOJ inspector general resolved ‘hang up’ on first Carter Page FISA application [VIDEO]
- REPORT: Financial disclosure shows the millions of dollars Ivanka Trump earned from DC Trump hotel
- REPORT: 1 killed, 3 injured after shooting at Costco