REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez, Sanders want your Post Office to double as a bank
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by FOXBUSINESS.COM:
New York Democrat Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Sen. Bernie Sanders are pushing a proposal known as postal banking – a system whereby the Post Office would be authorized to provide financial services.
In legislation unveiled last week, which also aims to cap credit card interest rates at 15 percent, the pair of self-identified Democratic Socialists said postal banking could provide relief to low-income Americans.
The article goes on to state the following:
“Post offices exist in almost every community in our country,” Sanders wrote in a blog post. “There are more than 31,000 retail post offices in this country. An important way to provide decent banking opportunities for low-income communities is to allow the U.S. Postal Service to engage in basic banking services.”
Some of the proposed services a postal banking system could offer include low-interest loans, checking and savings accounts, debit cards, check cashing, bill payment, ATM services, online banking services and electronic money transfers. The measure was framed as a way to prevent lower-income Americans from falling victim to predatory payday lending practices – and from having to rely on Wall Street’s largest institutions.
In a report on reforming the Post Office released by the Treasury Department earlier this year, the government came out against a postal banking option.
“Given the USPS’s narrow expertise and capital limitations, expanding into sectors where the USPS does not have a comparative advantage or where balance sheet risk might arise, such as postal banking, should not be pursued,” the report stated.
Currently, people can go to the Post Office for money orders. In the past, the agency offered Americans the options of opening savings accounts – but that policy ended in the late-1960s.
The debate on postal banking reemerged in the national dialogue about 5 years ago, when it was suggested by the Post Office’s Office of Inspector General. In responseOpens a New Window. to the recommendation, the Post Office said its core function was delivering, not banking.
To get more information about this article, please visit FOXBUSINESS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting FOXBUSINESS.COM
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: AOC, Ilhan Omar roll out new label for President Trump
- REPORT: Does this photo prove Trump tormentor’s marriage a sham? Omar with husbands
- VIDEO: McConnell: Trump is ‘on to something’
- VIDEO: Elijah Cummings goes ballistic at DHS head during hearing
- REPORT: Here are the 95 Democrats who voted to support impeachment
- REPORT: Hillary Clinton slams Trump rally: ‘The time has come again’
- REPORT: House Dems Unload On ‘The Squad’ — ‘It Makes People’s Skin Crawl’
- BREAKING: Senator hospitalized after fall
- VIDEO: Trey Gowdy: ‘Nobody cares what Congress does … ‘
- REPORT: New hashtag for Ilhan Omar starts trending after crowd at Trump rally chants ‘Send her back’