REPORT: NYT claims NOAA staff was threatened for contradicting Trump on Dorian; Commerce Department responds
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross threatened to fire top employees at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) after officials contradicted President Trump’s claim that Alabama could be impacted by Hurricane Dorian, according to a report by The New York Times.
The Commerce Department later denied the story in a statement to The Hill.
The article goes on to state the following:
“The New York Times story is false. Secretary Ross did not threaten to fire any NOAA staff over forecasting and public statements about Hurricane Dorian,” the spokesperson told The Hill.
Citing three people familiar with the discussion, the NYT reported that Ross asked acting NOAA Administrator Neil Jacobs to change the perception that the agency had contradicted Trump. Ross reportedly said that political staff at NOAA may be dismissed if the situation wasn’t resolved.
Several sources have asked for Ross to resign over the report.
NYT: Wilbur Ross Threatened Firings at NOAA After Trump’s Hurricane Tweets, Sources Sayhttps://t.co/DluVJ6JnIf
— Aaron Blake (@AaronBlake) September 9, 2019
The NYT reports Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross threatened to fire NOAA employees if they didn’t refute a tweet by a regional office that contradicted President Trump’s claim that Hurricane Dorian could likely hit Alabama. Rep. Gerry Connolly says Ross should resign over this. pic.twitter.com/A0rTG8ayS9
— The Situation Room (@CNNSitRoom) September 9, 2019
After the director rejected the demand, Ross warned political staff would be fired if they did not comply. https://t.co/aKBmPEn4AW
— Washington Examiner (@dcexaminer) September 9, 2019
Rep. Don Beyer says Wilbur Ross should resign over his threats to NOAA officials pic.twitter.com/b3DnIQXlxx
— Jennifer Bendery (@jbendery) September 9, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: Hollywood icon calls out ‘blatant abuse of power’ in SAG acceptance speech
- UPDATE: As trial nears, Trump lawyers call impeachment case ‘flimsy’
- EXCLUSIVE: Gun rally takes shape in VA
- REPORT: Schiff fires back at Trump: ‘What are you hiding?’
- REPORT: Alan Dershowitz makes stunning statement on Trump impeachment acquittal
- REPORT: The 2020 Census begins
- REPORT: Theme park’s “pig bungee jump” sparks outrage [PICTURES]
- TRUMP TWEETS: Knocks ‘two stone cold losers’; lashes out at Schiff
- DML: The key to killing impeachment is expose the Dems!
- VIDEO: Pelosi does impression of McConnell; uses grim nickname