REPORT: ‘No relevance’: DOJ says FISA report doesn’t justify dismissing Michael Flynn case
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
The Justice Department rejected claims by retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn’s lawyers that the agency watchdog’s recent surveillance abuse report contained evidence that would justify dismissing the case against him.
Prosecutors argued on Wednesday that DOJ Inspector General Michael Horowitz’s Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act abuse report bore “no relevance” to Flynn’s guilt.
The article goes on to state the following:
“The errors and misconduct described in the OIG report … do not amount to ‘egregious government misconduct’ necessitating the dismissal of the charge against the defendant for making material false statements to the Federal Bureau of Investigation on January 24, 2017,” wrote Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Brandon Van Grack in a court filing.
“Even though the investigation pertains to the abuses of the FISA process, not the FBI and DOJ’s misconduct regarding Mr. Flynn, the IG report simultaneously documents at least some of [the] FISA process abuses and misconduct against Mr. Flynn,” Powell told the court, according to the Examiner. “The IG report is replete with exculpatory evidence that, had it been known to Mr. Flynn, he never would have pled guilty.”
To get more information about this article, please visit WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM
Trending on DML News App
- REPORT: New survey reveals chances of a Sanders-Warren ticket
- VIDEO: Karl Rove: ‘Not so fast’ on narrative that Bernie Sanders is the front-runner
- VIDEO: McCarthy weighs in on socialism in the 2020 race
- VIDEO: Trump wants top Democrat investigated for leak of Russia briefing
- VIDEO: Trump administration rule to restrict green cards for welfare-reliant immigrants takes effect
- EXCLUSIVE: Clinton accuser Juanita Broaddrick issues statement on Weinstein verdict
- WATCH: Amazing takedown of suspect by K9 cop
- VIDEO: Pelosi takes to the streets in San Francisco. Here’s why
- BREAKING: Harvey Weinstein rerouted to hospital on way to jail
- VIDEO: Black, gay Republican blasts Jussie Smollett for hate crime hoax