REPORT: New Zealand touts success of massive gun buyback program
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
More than 10,000 military-style weapons have been bought back by the New Zealand government less than a month after launching its gun buyback program, which was put in place after a mass shooting in Christchurch left 51 people dead, the Guardian reported.
Following the March mass shooting in two Christchurch mosques by a self-avowed white supremacist, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and the country’s lawmakers passed legislation to ban military-style automatic and semi-automatic weapons, approving 150 million New Zealand dollars to buy the guns back from people.
The article goes on to state the following:
The shooter acquired the weapons legally in New Zealand.
The country launched the buyback program in mid-July. The country’s police have received 10,242 firearms since then, and 1,269 weapons have been handed in, according to the Guardian.
— The Hill (@thehill) August 12, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: Ryan Costello Dead: MLB Prospect’s Final Tweet Concerned His Health
- BREAKING: Supreme Court takes action on House subpoena of Trump financial records
- REPORT: Trump rips into Pence aide who called Ukraine call ‘inappropriate’
- BREAKING: Three dead after shooting spree at Oklahoma Walmart
- VIDEO: GOP Rep. says impeachment hearings should be postponed due to new development
- BREAKING: Pompeo announces reversal of Obama policy on Israel [VIDEO]
- VIDEO: Biden Says Americans Can Handle ‘Eight Years Of Donald Trump’
- VIDEO: Eddie Gallagher speaks out after Trump orders his Naval rank restored
- REPORT: Michigan county seized retiree’s home over $8 debt – now he’s fighting back
- VIDEO: Backyard NFL watch party turns into deadly rampage, 10 shot, 4 dead