REPORT: National Enquirer faces new legal woes after Bezos claims
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
The publisher of the National Enquirer is facing questions about whether it violated a cooperation agreement with federal prosecutors after allegations from Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos that the tabloid tried to blackmail him. Sources on Friday told Bloomberg News that federal prosecutors with the Southern District of New York are looking into publisher American Media Inc.’s (AMI) conduct, raising the prospect of new legal problems for the company.
At stake is an agreement AMI entered into with federal prosecutors to gain immunity in the probe into possible campaign finance violations in President Trump’s 2016 campaign. As part of the agreement, AMI admitted to paying former Playboy model Karen McDougal $150,000 to suppress her claims of an affair with Trump.
The article goes on to state the following:
Bezos, the head of Amazon and owner of The Washington Post, dropped a bombshell on Thursday night, accusing the National Enquirer of “extortion and blackmail” in an online post. Bezos said the tabloid threatened to publish intimate photos of him unless he dropped a private investigation into the tabloid. Bezos also suggested the Post’s coverage of the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi had angered AMI CEO David Pecker.
“Rather than capitulate to extortion and blackmail, I’ve decided to publish exactly what they sent me, despite the personal cost and embarrassment they threaten,” Bezos wrote.
AMI in their own released statement Friday said it “believes fervently” that the tabloid “acted lawfully,” but pledged to quickly investigate Bezos’ claims.
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- REPORT: Former Kirsten Gillibrand staffers want senator to quit presidential campaign
- REPORT: Ilhan Omar Mocks Republicans For ‘Losing Their Minds’
- REPORT: Omar lashes out in Twitter rant after Nadler criticizes her for sharing controversial cartoon
- VIDEO: Susan Boyle performs ‘I Dreamed a Dream’ a Decade After Famed Audition
- REPORT: Border Patrol busts woman with over $20K worth of fentanyl in her underwear
- REPORT: Three ship commanders fired in two days, raising questions about Navy’s ‘zero-error tolerance’ culture
- REPORT: Harris Campaign Brought in Crowd to ‘Boost’ Cheering During Speech
- REPORT: DOJ Makes Stunning Revelation About Federal Arrests of Non-U.S. Citizens in 2018
- BREAKING: Republican announces plan to primary challenge Trump
- OpEd: Ocasio-Cortez has yet another bad idea that makes no sense