REPORT: Mexicans march to vent anger at police over rape cases
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by ABCNews.GO.com:
Hundreds of people marched silently in Mexico’s capital Sunday to urge justice for women who suffer violence in one of the most dangerous countries to be female, victims who include students murdered by rejected suitors, girls raped before they reach puberty and single mothers who disappear without a trace.
Relatives of victims carried pictures of missing and murdered daughters and sisters. They held signs proclaiming, “We won’t stop until we find you!” The word “justice” was scrawled on tape over mouths. They choked back tears as they detailed the practically nonexistent investigations into the cases, and the ability of the perpetrators to walk free.
The article goes on to state the following:
“This is a state that doesn’t punish, that doesn’t guarantee the rights of women, much less victims,” said María de la Luz Estrada, coordinator of the National Citizen’s Observatory of Feminicide and one of the march’s organizers.
On average, Estrada said, 10 women are murdered every day in Mexico, often after a sexual assault. At least 9,000 more have disappeared without a trace in recent years. The statistics are fuzzy because only around one in 10 crimes in Mexico is reported. Only 10% of total criminal cases result in prison sentences, and when it comes to rape, only 2% of assailants face jail time.
Mexicans march to vent anger at police over rape cases https://t.co/RjVbeUMNmT
— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) August 13, 2019
— Randall Blazak, PhD. (@rblazak) September 8, 2019
“Mexicans March to Demand Safety and Justice for Women” by The Associated Press via NYT https://t.co/LD2TJFodSD
— Deonna Fehn (@deonnain) September 8, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit ABCNews.GO.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting ABCNews.GO.com
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: Rage boils over: Dark pattern emerges in recent spate of disturbing attacks on Trump backers, Republicans
- VIDEO: Bloomberg hits Sanders supporters in new ad
- REPORT: Illegal alien confessed to raping 11-year-old relative after baby born in bathtub
- REPORT: Trump campaign manager deletes photo of Air Force One beside huge crowd after realizing mistake
- TRUMP TWEETS: What he’d rather be doing than addressing ‘ridiculous’ hoax
- BREAKING: New book reveals explosive details about Loretta Lynch-Bill Clinton tarmac meeting [VIDEO]
- EXCLUSIVE: DML hits back in response to Bernie Sanders tweet on US military
- REPORT: France’s Macron startles allies and angers US officials with defense proposals
- REPORT: ANOTHER royal split: Second couple announces divorce in a week
- TRUMP TWEET: Responds to Obama’s dig on President’s Day