REPORT: Mexicans march to vent anger at police over rape cases
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by ABCNews.GO.com:
Hundreds of people marched silently in Mexico’s capital Sunday to urge justice for women who suffer violence in one of the most dangerous countries to be female, victims who include students murdered by rejected suitors, girls raped before they reach puberty and single mothers who disappear without a trace.
Relatives of victims carried pictures of missing and murdered daughters and sisters. They held signs proclaiming, “We won’t stop until we find you!” The word “justice” was scrawled on tape over mouths. They choked back tears as they detailed the practically nonexistent investigations into the cases, and the ability of the perpetrators to walk free.
The article goes on to state the following:
“This is a state that doesn’t punish, that doesn’t guarantee the rights of women, much less victims,” said María de la Luz Estrada, coordinator of the National Citizen’s Observatory of Feminicide and one of the march’s organizers.
On average, Estrada said, 10 women are murdered every day in Mexico, often after a sexual assault. At least 9,000 more have disappeared without a trace in recent years. The statistics are fuzzy because only around one in 10 crimes in Mexico is reported. Only 10% of total criminal cases result in prison sentences, and when it comes to rape, only 2% of assailants face jail time.
Mexicans march to vent anger at police over rape cases https://t.co/RjVbeUMNmT
— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) August 13, 2019
— Randall Blazak, PhD. (@rblazak) September 8, 2019
“Mexicans March to Demand Safety and Justice for Women” by The Associated Press via NYT https://t.co/LD2TJFodSD
— Deonna Fehn (@deonnain) September 8, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit ABCNews.GO.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting ABCNews.GO.com
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: Trey Gowdy reacts to DOJ decision on McCabe
- VIDEO: Kellyanne Conway compares Bloomberg sexist remarks to Trump Access Hollywood tape
- REPORT: Illegal alien confessed to raping 11-year-old relative after baby born in bathtub
- BREAKING: 1 person is killed, 4 others hurt in nightclub shooting
- Submit News
- DML LIVE: Let Trump be Trump (Sat – Feb 15)
- DML LIVE: A new birth awaits, and it’s dangerous (Tues – Feb 11)
- REPORT: Prosecutor John Durham examining interagency turf war over Obama emails hacked by Russia
- VIDEO: Media praised Michael Avenatti, convicted felon, as the man who could take down Trump
- VIDEO: 2020 Dem calls on Barr to testify in front of Senate after department rejects recommended Roger Stone sentencing