REPORT: McConnell opens door to changing president’s emergency powers
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) signaled on Tuesday that he is open to changing the president’s national emergency powers as support grows within the GOP caucus for amending the National Emergencies Act.
“We’re looking at some ways to revisit the law. There’s a lot of discomfort with the law. … Was it too broad back in the ’70s when it was passed? So yeah, we’re discussing altering that,” McConnell told reporters during a weekly press conference.
The article goes on to state the following:
A growing number of Republican senators have expressed interest in amending the National Emergencies Act to make it easier for Congress to terminate a national emergency.
The discussion is focused on future national emergencies but comes days before the Senate will vote on a House-passed resolution of disapproval blocking Trump’s emergency declaration at the border.
Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) is expected to introduce legislation that would require Congress to vote to approve future national emergency declarations within 30 days before they automatically expire.
— The Hill (@thehill) March 12, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- Teachers allegedly told to treat black students as ‘victims’, ‘punish’ whites
- TRUMP TWEETS: Warner, Rolling Thunder, Obama-appointed judge, Smollett, Kim Jong Un and more!
- 1 dead, 12 wounded in Memorial Day weekend gun violence
- POLL: Should illegal alien get the death penalty
- Media cries over Pelosi video
- CLAIM: Martin Luther King Jr had 40 affairs and laughed as friend raped woman
- Trump Opens Tokyo Visit With a Tweet Sure to Unnerve the Japanese
- Police are searching for a missing 5-year-old Utah girl. They said the case won’t end well
- EXCLUSIVE: Dem presidential candidate says US flag not sacred – here’s our answer [PHOTO]
- Man arrested for ‘sexually assaulting and giving drugs to dead girl’