REPORT: Lawyers accuse Kamala Harris of defying Supreme Court by hiding evidence
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
While district attorney for San Francisco, Kamala Harris withheld evidence that could have exonerated defendants on multiple occasions, in violation of a key due process ruling by the Supreme Court.
Between 2004 and 2010, Harris’s office failed to inform defense attorneys about criminal and professional misconduct records that raised questions about the credibility of government witnesses. The lapses led to the dismissal of nearly 1,000 cases and a scathing 2010 ruling by a Superior Court judge that accused Harris’ office of breaching due process rights.
The article goes on to state the following:
Legal scholars told the Washington Examiner that Harris’ office appeared to have violated the Supreme Court’s 1963 Brady v. Maryland decision. The ruling held that prosecutors must turn over potentially exculpatory evidence to the defense.
There is a “clear causal link between Brady violations and wrongful conviction” said Craig Trainor, a New York attorney who specializes in due process cases.
“The reasons for failure to disclose exculpatory evidence range from bad faith to inexperience to excessive caseloads to a tunnel vision to get the ‘guilty defendant’ at all costs to rank politics, as we see in Kamala Harris’ case,” he said.
CLICK HERE to read more of this report by the Washington Examiner.
.@KamalaHarris wants to go from California Attorney General to President of The United States.
Some legal scholars warn that Harris’ practices while serving as the state’s top cop might have violated the Supreme Court. https://t.co/f58I2Gnide
— Washington Examiner (@dcexaminer) September 8, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: Jenna Bush Hager Reveals Chat She Had With Dad About Alcohol That Changed How She Views Drinking
- VIDEO: Judge Jeanine: Trump re-election will again be blamed on Russia
- WATCH LIVE: Trump speaks at campaign rally in Colorado Springs, massive crowd waits over 24 hours
- REPORT: Former Obama AG Eric Holder tells conservative journalist to ‘shut the hell up,’ gets pounded in return
- VIDEO: Bloomberg called out over misleading claim about 9/11 in new ad
- REPORT: Impeachment jackpot: Senate GOP announces record-breaking fundraising for January
- JUST IN: Major retailer to close 125 stores, shed 2,000 corporate jobs
- VIDEO: Trump goes after Klobuchar during campaign rally, she responds
- REPORT: Trump considering Doug Collins as nominee for top role, Collins responds
- VIDEO: Former Bernie Sanders consultant arrested after allegedly planting weapons in jail for ‘evil’ escape plot