REPORT: Latino Texas lawmakers condemn governor for ‘dangerous’ tweets about immigrants
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
In the weeks since a deadly mass shooting in El Paso, Texas, Latino lawmakers have come forward publicly to denounce Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) for his language that they say is “dangerous” for the state’s immigrant communities.
Democratic members of the El Paso legislative delegation and the Mexican American Legislative Caucus condemned Abbott’s tweet that said the state had to “provide and fund public education for illegal immigrants.”
The article goes on to state the following:
The “attack on a child’s right to an education is immoral and infuriating, regardless of citizenship status,” the caucus said, accusing Abbot of having “demonized” the immigrant community “since day one,” NBC News reported.
Abbott was responding to a tweet from a public school teacher, who wrote, “I teach illegals all day long in public schools , where are the American citizens I should be teaching. Why are my tax dollars paying for illegals to be educated?”
Governor Abbot responded: “Google Plyler v. Doe. 5 liberals on the Supreme Court ruled that Texas had to provide and fund public education for illegal immigrants. The next decade, in Texas v. U. S., Federal courts rejected our lawsuit that the federal government should pay for that education cost.”
Google Plyler v. Doe.
5 liberals on the Supreme Court ruled that Texas had to provide and fund public education for illegal immigrants.
The next decade, in Texas v. U. S., Federal courts rejected our lawsuit that the federal government should pay for that education cost. https://t.co/gIq1mPOsDJ
— Greg Abbott (@GregAbbott_TX) August 23, 2019
Texas State Rep. Joe Moody (D-El Paso) fired back at Abbott, “Our community is trying to heal from racially driven violence. This hurts. It is dangerous.”
— Joe Moody (@moodyforelpaso) August 23, 2019
U.S. Rep. Veronica Escobar (D-Texas) also slammed Abbott over a political mailer he had sent out following the El Paso Walmart shooting. She tweeted: ”If Greg Abbott ever wonders why there is so much hate and anger toward Mexicans and immigrants, he should take a long look at his rhetoric, policies and now his mailer.”
”If Greg Abbott ever wonders why there is so much hate and anger toward Mexicans and immigrants, he should take a long look at his rhetoric, policies and now his mailer.” https://t.co/VOmkpqVwJ2
— Veronica Escobar (@vgescobar) August 23, 2019
— The Hill (@thehill) August 24, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: Lead singer of rock band passes away at age 75
- BREAKING: Saudi-led coalition reports evidence indicating who’s to blame for oil plant attacks
- VIDEO: Actress Traveling America Apologizing for Her White Privilege
- REPORT: Fisherman catches strange, ‘dinosaur-like’ creature [PHOTO]
- BREAKING: State of New York takes major action to get their hands on Trump’s tax returns
- BREAKING: Dog The Bounty Hunter, 66, ‘suffers heart emergency’
- VIDEO: Omar responds to family of 9/11 victim who called her out at anniversary ceremony
- VIDEO: Father-of-three blows up home on day of daughter’s wedding
- BREAKING: NASCAR champ, 61, dies in plane crash near Rhode Island
- REPORT: Transgender Worker Gets Fired After Telling Conservative Customer To ‘Get The F*ck Out’