REPORT: Kawasaki-like illness linked to coronavirus now appearing in young adults
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by NYPost.com:
The puzzling Kawasaki-like inflammatory illness linked to the coronavirus is now affecting young adults — not just children, according to a report.
Doctors across the country are now reporting patients in their early and mid-20s, the Washington Post reports.
The article goes on to state the following:
The new illness, recently dubbed multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children, or MIS-C, has impacted a 25-year-old at Northwell Health’s Long Island Jewish Medical Center, a 20-year-old in San Diego and several patients in their 20s at NYU Langone in the Big Apple, according to the outlet.
From the Post:
Jennifer Lighter, a pediatric infectious diseases doctor at NYU Langone, said younger children with the condition seem to have symptoms that look more like traditional Kawasaki, which is characterized by inflammation of the blood vessels. But teens and young adults have more of an “overwhelming” response involving the heart and multiple organs.
“The older ones have had a more severe course,” Lighter said.
The presentation of the new illness is very different from what doctors saw in children with covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, who showed up at emergency rooms during the first wave of sickness in March and April. Back then, many pediatric patients had preexisting conditions, active coronavirus infections and trouble breathing. Those coming in now are mostly previously healthy children and young adults who suddenly develop fever, abdominal pain and/or nausea and vomiting and rashes that can be signs of more serious problems.
Many patients test positive for coronavirus antibodies, suggesting the condition may be a delayed immune response as the patients were likely infected weeks earlier.
To get more information about this article, please visit NYPost.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting NYPost.com
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: Incredible video of undercover officer disarming man who stole rifle from police
- VIDEO: GOP Senator: If Local Law Enforcement Overwhelmed, Let’s See How Anarchists Respond When the 101st Airborne Is on the Other Side of the Street
- VIDEO: Dallas business owner trying to defend store beaten and stoned by rioters – DML responds
- BREAKING: Historic church near White House set on fire by rioters [VIDEO]
- REPORT: Dozens rendered unconscious by Minneapolis police neckholds in past five years
- VIDEO: Some police officers support protesters by taking a knee
- REPORT: Cuomo calls for independent investigations into all police brutality allegations
- REPORT: Viral photo shows cop being protected by black protesters during riot
- REPORT: Hillary Clinton launches accusation at Trump about ‘calling for violence’
- REPORT: Sessions Admits Trump’s Frustration With Russia Probe ‘Not All Unjustified’