REPORT: Justice throws executive privilege threat into census battle
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
The Department of Justice on Tuesday threatened to ask President Trump to invoke executive privilege over materials lawmakers have subpoenaed on the 2020 census citizenship question.
In a letter sent to House Oversight Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings (D-Md.), Assistant Attorney General Stephen Boyd wrote that the administration should take that step if the House Oversight and Reform Committee votes Wednesday to hold Attorney General William Barr and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross in contempt.
The article goes on to state the following:
Boyd wrote that in “the face of this threatened contempt vote, the Attorney General is now compelled to request that the president invoke executive privilege” over the materials the panel had subpoenaed from DOJ and the Commerce Department.“This request is not itself an assertion of executive privilege,” Boyd wrote in the letter.
If the committee goes forward with the vote as scheduled on Wednesday, “the Department will be obliged to advise that the President assert executive privilege with respect to certain of the subpoenaed documents, and to make a protective assertion of executive privilege over the remainder of the documents, which undoubtedly include material covered by executive privilege, while the Department continues to review them.”
DOJ in new letter to Cummings says Barr will ask Trump to invoke executive privilege over census docs unless the Oversight Committee backs off its contempt vote tomorrow. pic.twitter.com/Oo3iC29BVS
— Andrew Desiderio (@desiderioDC) June 11, 2019
A.G. Barr will ask Trump to assert executive privilege over documents from the admin’s decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 Census if House Oversight Democrats proceed toward holding Barr in contempt. https://t.co/LbQBuK5drc
— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) June 11, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News founder Dennis Michael Lynch discusses the homeless crisis in America and premiers 15-min of his new film on the subject in the video below. Watch:
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- POLL: Is Fox Moving to the Left?
- REPORT: Major retailer experiencing widespread register outages; customers irate
- Trump newest tweet warns of a stock market crash
- REPORT: Jim Acosta’s Embarrassing Book Signing
- REPORT: Nationwide ‘Impeach Donald Trump’ Rallies Launch Saturday
- REPORT: Flight forced to change course after passenger assaulted flight attendant
- BREAKING: Trump accuses New York Times of treason
- REPORT: DOJ inspector general resolved ‘hang up’ on first Carter Page FISA application [VIDEO]
- REPORT: Financial disclosure shows the millions of dollars Ivanka Trump earned from DC Trump hotel
- REPORT: 1 killed, 3 injured after shooting at Costco