REPORT: Judge signals swift ruling in Trump lawsuit over Cummings subpoena
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
A federal judge on Tuesday gave lawyers for President Trump and Democrats on the House Oversight and Reform Committee until the end of the week to make their final arguments on whether the court should uphold a subpoena requesting Trump’s private financial records.
District Judge Amit Mehta, during the first court hearing in D.C. over the subpoena issued by Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) for records from the accounting firm Mazars, said he considers the matter to be “fully exhausted” after hearing arguments from attorneys on both sides.
The article goes on to state the following:
And he promised to quickly issue a ruling on the matter.
Attorneys for Trump and his businesses argued that the House committee had no standing to issue the subpoena, describing the request for documents as “law enforcement” and going beyond Congress’s authorities.
Trump lawyer William Consovoy said that investigating the president for potential wrongdoing was outside of Congress’s constitutional bounds, reiterating an argument that all congressional probes should be tied to legislation.
The report also stated the following:
Trump’s lawsuit seeking to block the congressional subpoena is one of a pair filed by Trump’s lawyers in federal court. The president has promised to fight “all the subpoenas” issued by House Democrats as part of their sweeping probes into Trump, his businesses and his family.
His attorneys are arguing in the Southern District of New York that congressional subpoenas issued to Capital One and Deutsche Bank by House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) and Financial Services Committee Chairwoman Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) are similarly overbroad.
— The Hill (@thehill) May 14, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- UPDATE: Trump responds to U.S. judge’s ruling on financial records
- VIDEO: Trump holds MAGA rally in Pennsylvania
- BREAKING: Cohen identified which Trump associate told him to lie, allegedly
- REPORT: Illegal Convicted of Raping Dog to Death Released by Sanctuary State
- POLL: Is Fox News turning on President Trump?
- VIDEO: Anti-Trump actor makes odd statement about Trump winning in 2020
- BREAKING: Judge upholds Dem subpoena for Trump financial records
- REPORT: Lynch on whether Obama ordered politically motivated infiltration of Trump campaign
- REPORT: Fox News commentator attacks Trump, fires back at his criticism of the channel
- VIDEO: Meghan McCain apologizes for BIG on-air social gaffe