REPORT: Judge lets Facebook class action case proceed
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by REUTERS.COM:
(Reuters) – A federal judge on Monday ordered Facebook Inc to face most of a nationwide lawsuit seeking damages for letting third parties such as Cambridge Analytica access users’ private data, calling the social media company’s views on privacy “so wrong.”
While dismissing some claims, U.S. District Judge Vince Chhabria in San Francisco said users could try to hold Facebook liable under various federal and state laws for letting app developers and business partners harvest their personal data without their consent on a “widespread” basis.
The article goes on to state the following:
He rejected Facebook’s arguments that users suffered no “tangible” harm and had no legitimate privacy interest in information they shared with friends on social media.
“Facebook’s motion to dismiss is littered with assumptions about the degree to which social media users can reasonably expect their personal information and communications to remain private,” Chhabria wrote. “Facebook’s view is so wrong.”
“Facebook’s view is that once you make information available to your friends on social media, you completely relinquish any privacy interest in that information,” Chhabria wrote. “The problem with Facebook’s argument is that it treats privacy as an all-or-nothing proposition – either you retain a full privacy interest by not sharing information with anyone, or you have no privacy interest whatsoever by virtue of sharing it even in a limited fashion.”
— The Globe and Mail (@globeandmail) September 9, 2019
— Hollywood Reporter (@THR) September 9, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit REUTERS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting REUTERS.COM
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: New sexual misconduct accusation leveled against Kavanaugh, echoes previous allegation
- REPORT: Baby born on 9/11 at 9:11 weighing 9 pounds, 11 ounces [PICTURES]
- REPORT: DC flies US flags with 51 stars ahead of statehood hearing
- REPORT: Mike Flynn Is Finally Fighting Back
- POLL: Do you like MAGA or KAG?
- REPORT: Pelosi claims to know why multiple Republicans are retiring
- REPORT: Trooper Attacked, Left With Serious Facial Injuries After Routine Traffic Stop
- VIDEO: Portland crowd boos during on-field Armed Forces swearing-in on 9/11
- REPORT: Even baby boomers are way behind on retirement savings
- BREAKING: Trump confirms death of Osama bin Laden’s son