REPORT: Judge gives HUGE win to Trump admin on family separations
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by YAHOO.COM:
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A U.S. judge ruled Monday that the Trump administration is operating within its authority when separating families stopped at the Mexico border, rejecting arguments that it was quietly returning to widespread practices that drew international condemnation.
The American Civil Liberties Union argued that the administration was splitting families over dubious allegations and minor transgressions including traffic offenses.
The article goes on to state the following:
It asked the judge in July to rule on whether the government was justified in separating 911 children during the first year after the judge halted the general practice in June 2018.
“It is an invitation that is potentially massive in scope, invades an area that is particularly within the province of the executive branch to secure the nation’s border, and goes beyond this court’s class certification and preliminary injunction orders, which were focused on the administration’s practice of separating families at the border for the purpose of deterring immigration, and failing to reunify those families,” U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw wrote in a 26-page decision, indicating he won’t second-guess the government’s decisions as he found no evidence it was abusing its discretion.
The ACLU was handed a win as the judge said the government must settle doubts about parentage before separating families.
The government separates children “on grounds that parents were considered unfit or dangerous, or in other limited circumstances like criminal history, communicable diseases and doubts about parentage,” Yahoo reports.
A U.S. judge has ruled that the Trump administration is operating within its authority when separating families stopped at the Mexico border. https://t.co/TYO2AU5w3T
— AP West Region (@APWestRegion) January 14, 2020
— The Hill (@thehill) January 14, 2020
Judge rejects arguments over family separations at border https://t.co/0ljbDOdTjX
— FOX40 News (@FOX40) January 14, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit YAHOO.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting YAHOO.COM
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: Former Acting Attorney General weighs in on impeachment trial
- REPORT: Alan Dershowitz makes stunning statement on Trump impeachment acquittal
- VIDEO: LSU ‘Get the Gat’ video from Trump’s White House tribute goes viral — Twitter abuzz over ‘mystery woman’
- REPORT: Person who decided to release Strzok-Page texts revealed; Twitter outraged
- JUST IN: Trump given plaque to mark important border accomplishment [PICTURE]
- Swing voters are furious with Pelosi’s impeachment ‘obsession’
- VIDEO: Senate Democrat responds to possibility of testimony from Hunter Biden
- Video captures ‘creepy’ flying objects that officials can’t explain
- VIDEO: Hoax Impeachment: President Trump UNLOADS On ‘The Biggest WITCH HUNT’ In American History
- THEY WON’T STOP: Kevin McCarthy Says Democrats Want To DESTROY President Trump