REPORT: Immigrant rights group files complaint against DHS over immigrant children
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
An immigrant advocacy group on Wednesday filed a civil rights complaint against the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), accusing Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) of wrongfully detaining migrant children for longer than is legally allowed.
The Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services (RAICES) alleged in a complaint filed with DHS’s Office for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties that five children at the Karnes County detention center in Karnes City, Texas, have been held for between 41 and 58 days.
The article goes on to state the following:
The federal government is barred from detaining undocumented children for more than 20 days under the 1997 Flores settlement agreement without releasing them into a sponsor’s custody.
“RAICES has recently seen a disturbing trend in which DHS has detained children and their fathers at the Karnes Detention Center far longer than the 20-day period contemplated by the FSA,” the complaint says.
“RAICES alleges that through these actions, multiple components of DHS, including [U.S. Customs and Border Protection], ICE, and [United States Citizenship and Immigration Services] violate the civil rights and civil liberties of these children and their fathers,” it continues.
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Head of Warner Bros. steps down amid reports of affair with actress
- REPORT: Santorum: Trump should ‘send emails to a therapist’ instead of tweeting
- BREAKING: Ocasio-Cortez Quietly Removed From Board Of PAC She Controlled
- OpEd: Donna Brazile: Why I am excited to join Fox News
- BREAKING: Florida prosecutors offer deal to drop charges against Robert Kraft
- REPORT: Cause of death released for ‘Young & Restless” star Kristoff St. John
- REPORT: Snorkeling tour scam left teens stranded on ‘snake-infested’ island
- REPORT: Mike Pompeo jokes about Trump firing him
- REPORT: Member Of Left-Wing Group Makes Anti-Semitic Joke While Teaching House Democrats About Anti-Semitism
- REPORT: RNC Addresses Omar’s Op-Ed Calling For A ‘Two-State Solution’