REPORT: Immigrant rights group files complaint against DHS over immigrant children
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
An immigrant advocacy group on Wednesday filed a civil rights complaint against the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), accusing Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) of wrongfully detaining migrant children for longer than is legally allowed.
The Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services (RAICES) alleged in a complaint filed with DHS’s Office for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties that five children at the Karnes County detention center in Karnes City, Texas, have been held for between 41 and 58 days.
The article goes on to state the following:
The federal government is barred from detaining undocumented children for more than 20 days under the 1997 Flores settlement agreement without releasing them into a sponsor’s custody.
“RAICES has recently seen a disturbing trend in which DHS has detained children and their fathers at the Karnes Detention Center far longer than the 20-day period contemplated by the FSA,” the complaint says.
“RAICES alleges that through these actions, multiple components of DHS, including [U.S. Customs and Border Protection], ICE, and [United States Citizenship and Immigration Services] violate the civil rights and civil liberties of these children and their fathers,” it continues.
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- Teachers allegedly told to treat black students as ‘victims’, ‘punish’ whites
- REPORT: The Obamas are worth 30 times more than when they entered the White House their millions
- Media cries over Pelosi video
- CLAIM: Martin Luther King Jr had 40 affairs and laughed as friend raped woman
- TRUMP TWEETS: Warner, Rolling Thunder, Obama-appointed judge, Smollett, Kim Jong Un and more!
- POLL: Should illegal alien get the death penalty
- Trump Opens Tokyo Visit With a Tweet Sure to Unnerve the Japanese
- Police are searching for a missing 5-year-old Utah girl. They said the case won’t end well
- 1 dead, 12 wounded in Memorial Day weekend gun violence
- Man arrested for ‘sexually assaulting and giving drugs to dead girl’