REPORT: House Democrats pull subpoena for ex-Trump national security official
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
House Democrats withdrew a subpoena Wednesday for a former national security official to testify in the impeachment inquiry into President Trump.
Democrats pulled the subpoena for Charles Kupperman, who served as a deputy to former national security adviser John Bolton, about a week after a federal judge fast-tracked the case.
The article goes on to state the following:
“The subpoena at issue in this matter has been withdrawn and there is no current intention to reissue it,” Democrats wrote in their request, according to a court filing.
Democrats hope a separate case regarding testimony from former White House counsel Don McGahn might compel Kupperman to testify. If they are successful in arguing against immunity in that case, Democrats asked Kupperman’s attorneys if their client would agree to testify.
“Unless your lawsuit was admittedly only for purposes of delay, and without a subpoena in force, the Committees expect that your client will voluntarily dismiss the complaint he filed in the United States District Court of the District of Columbia on the same day he received Committee’s subpoena and be guided by the decision in McGahn,” House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), Foreign Affairs Chairman Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.) and acting Oversight Chair Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) asked Kupperman’s attorneys, according to The Hill.
Dems withdrawing subpoena for Kupperman, a former top WH official who asked a court to rule about whether he should testify. It’s another sign Dems have no interest in prolonged battle to get witnesses – they believe they already have enough evidence to charge ahead with inquiry pic.twitter.com/ccgkM14O6h
— Manu Raju (@mkraju) November 6, 2019
Glad to see that the House pulled the Kupperman subpoena this afternoon! It’s what I tweeted on November 3 the House should do rather then let Judge Leon drag things out. https://t.co/yH3JDIvYql
— Laurence Tribe (@tribelaw) November 6, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEOS: Bronx streets descend into chaos as looters run wild: ‘Fordham is on fire’
- OpEd: STONE: Now That I’m Ungagged, I’d Like To Say A Few Things About My Prosecution
- VIDEO: Florida sheriff ‘highly recommends’ what home owners should do to looters
- VIDEO: Officer suspended after punching woman who was beating on fellow officer
- VIDEO: Ben Carson speaks out on protests and rioting across the nation
- WATCH: CNN’s Jim Acosta Shouts at Trump: ‘Is This Still a Democracy?’
- BREAKING: Zuckerberg releases statement on Trump’s controversial tweet about looting and shooting
- VIDEO: Ilhan Omar claims rioters were ‘terrorized’ by National Guard, police
- REPORT: Twitter restricts tweet from Rep. Matt Gaetz for ‘glorifying violence’
- REPORT: GOP governor rejects use of military to quell protests