REPORT: Homelessness becomes crisis among college students [VIDEO]
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by USATODAY.COM:
A survey of nearly 86,000 students taken last fall by The Hope Center for College, Community and Justice found that homelessness affected 18% of respondents attending two-year colleges, and 14% of those attending four-year institutions. The number who said they had experienced housing insecurity, such as difficulty paying rent, was much higher, at 60%, among those attending two-year schools, and at 48% for those enrolled in four-year institutions.
“These are people who might not be on the street at this point but they do not have a fixed and regular place to sleep, and that creates stress that interferes with education,” says Sara Goldrick-Rab, founding director of the Hope Center, which focuses on research, activism and student support to improve access to higher education. “If they are temporarily staying with a relative or couch surfing with a friend, that is also homelessness.”
The article goes on to state the following:
A combination of factors, including rising tuition, financial aid packages that fail to keep up with the costs of food, gas and child care, and an overall lack of affordable housing have fueled the homelessness crisis among college students.
With many college students saying they’ve been homeless, schools, lawmakers and community groups are trying to take on the crisis. https://t.co/7shBqPI7MV
— USA TODAY Money (@USATODAYmoney) June 10, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit USATODAY.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News founder Dennis Michael Lynch discusses the homeless crisis in America and premiers 15-minutes of his new film on the subject in the video below. CLICK HERE to learn more. WATCH video below:
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting USATODAY.COM
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: Celebrity chef passes away at age 44
- VIDEO: Schiff says he finally found the key to justify impeachment
- VIDEO: Missing Florida girl shown tied up and crying in Instagram video call, family tells police
- REPORT: GRAPHIC: Half-eaten remains of migrant found on Texas ranch near border
- VIDEO: Biden’s campaign likely coming to an end, thanks to Clinton-linked Ukraine bombshell, Nunes says
- Biden gives contentious, finger-pointing answer to reporter over Ukraine question
- REPORT: Pelosi opens door to impeachment
- VIDEO: Florida woman jailed after video of her kicking and choking dog goes viral
- REPORT: Coca-Cola’s surprising new flavor is ‘super difficult to track down’
- BREAKING: 3 dead, others hospitalized in Pittsburgh ‘medical situation’