REPORT: Harvard Fires Back in Legal Battle Over Single-Sex Greek Clubs
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by Bloomberg:
Harvard has brought its legal firepower to bear against fraternities, sororities and other single-sex clubs suing to hang on to their role as havens of social life at the school.
The college’s new policy on single-sex social clubs — endorsed by former president Drew Faust, the first woman to lead the school — doesn’t ban them. But the rules, which cover the incoming Class of 2021, do provide a powerful disincentive to joining the off-campus organizations, barring members from leading sports teams and receiving the school’s endorsement for coveted prizes such as the Rhodes and Marshall scholarships.
On Friday, the school asked state and federal judges in Massachusetts to dismiss a pair of lawsuits, filed in federal and state courts in Massachusetts in December, that claim the policy discriminates against the clubs on the basis of sex and violates students’ freedom of association.
Harvard claims the rules are “lawful and wholly sex-neutral” and that the Greek clubs have no right to impose their culture or influence on the school. It argues the accusations of gender discrimination are “false” and have no legal foundation, and that the plaintiffs can’t provide any evidence of a student being harmed. The statement reads:
“Harvard controls its own resources and endorsements, and students preserve the right to join organizations of their own choosing. This court should reject plaintiffs’ invitation to expand the laws to create a new kind of lawsuit that Congress did not create and no court has countenanced.”
To get more information about this article, please visit Bloomberg. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting Bloomberg
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: America’s First Two Muslim Congresswomen Will BOTH Be Fundraising For Hamas-Linked Organization
- VIDEO: Meghan McCain stuns Andrew McCabe on ‘The View’ with pointed question
- VIDEO: Gillibrand voices support for federal recognition of third gender
- REPORT: How the winners of New York Lottery’s biggest jackpot were able to stay anonymous
- BREAKING: ‘Empire’ show takes first steps against Jussie Smollett after attack claim controversy
- BREAKING: Obama-nominated judge deals blow to Obama’s presidential library plans
- REPORT: Prosecutor recuses herself from Jussie Smollett investigation
- VIDEO: McCabe claims ‘Gang of 8’ knew of counterintelligence investigation of Trump
- VIDEO: ISIS teen wife bemoans UK’s ‘unjust’ decision to revoke her citizenship
- VIDEO: Survey reveals Michelle Obama’s placement in 2020 race, if she runs