REPORT: Harris, Ocasio-Cortez team up to pitch bill to help individuals with criminal records
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), a 2020 White House hopeful, and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) are introducing legislation aimed at making it easier for individuals with criminal records to get federal housing assistance and limit evictions.
The bill, named the Fair Chance at Housing Act, would ban tenants from being evicted after one incident of criminal activity and over the activities of guests.
The article goes on to state the following:
“Too many people become involved in our criminal justice system and serve their time only to return home to face additional barriers to employment, education, and housing. …By requiring a higher standard of evidence and a more holistic review process, we are taking a significant step toward giving Americans a fair chance to succeed,” Harris said in a statement.
Ocasio-Cortez added that “denying housing to those that have been formerly incarcerated increases recidivism. Today we are taking a step to make our communities safer.”
Too many people come out of the criminal justice system only to face additional barriers to transitioning back into their community.
That’s why I’m proud to introduce a bill today with @AOC to ensure people with criminal records have access to safe and affordable housing.
— Kamala Harris (@SenKamalaHarris) July 10, 2019
Here’s how the ‘Housing Act’ will aim to help men and women released from prison secure stable housing without fear of unfair eviction.https://t.co/2lcB4g3dLZ
— BET News (@BETNews) July 10, 2019
Kamala Harris joining forces with AOC to stop families from being kicked out of public housing
The “Fair Chance at Housing Act” aims to help people who have gone to jail get back on their feet and rejoin their communities.https://t.co/WhP9lEurNa
— New York Daily News (@NYDailyNews) July 10, 2019
— The Hill (@thehill) July 10, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: Schiff makes announcement on releasing impeachment inquiry transcripts to the public
- REPORT: Impeachment gets real: McConnell gives Senate Republicans tutorial on Trump trial
- REPORT: Ilhan Omar Continues To Divert Campaign Funds To Alleged Boyfriend’s Company
- VIDEO: Trump called Pelosi a ‘third-rate politician’ during Syria meeting, top Democrats say
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham threatens to become ‘Trump’s worst nightmare’
- BREAKING: 4th defendant in case involving Rudy Giuliani associates arrested at airport
- BREAKING: House votes on resolution rebuking Trump over withdrawal of U.S. forces from Syria
- VIDEO: Pelosi doubles down on Trump ‘meltdown’: ‘We have to pray for his health’
- Trump Tweets: ‘The Do Nothing Democrats’ and ‘Nervous Nancy’s Unhinged Meltdown’ [PICTURES]
- BREAKING: Democrat Congressman Elijah Cummings dies suddenly