REPORT: Guatemala election winner wants to change Trump migrant deal
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by REUTERS.COM:
GUATEMALA CITY (Reuters) – The winner of Guatemala’s presidential election, Alejandro Giammattei, said on Sunday he hoped he could make changes to a controversial migration deal the Central American country signed with the Trump administration last month.
Speaking to Reuters shortly before being declared victor, the conservative Giammattei said he wanted to see what could be done to improve the deal that outgoing President Jimmy Morales agreed to stem U.S.-bound migration from Central America.
The article goes on to state the following:
Giammattei will not take office until January, by which time Guatemala may be under severe pressure from the deal that effectively turns the country into a buffer zone, by forcing migrants to seek refuge there rather than in the United States.
“I hope that during this transition the doors will open to get more information so we can see what, from a diplomatic point of view, we can do to remove from this deal the things that are not right for us, or how we can come to an agreement with the United States,” Giammattei, 63, said in the interview.
Reuters also reported the following:
Giammattei also said he doubted that migrants would be willing to comply with the deal.
“They are looking for asylum in the United States,” he said. “I don’t think there are a lot of people from El Salvador and Honduras who want to seek asylum in Guatemala, especially if they are fleeing poverty.”
Guatemala’s next president to try to change ‘safe third country’ U.S. asylum deal:
“It’s not right for the country..If we don’t have the capacity to look after our own..imagine what it will be like for foreigners.”
— Chrissie Murray (@chrissiemurray) August 12, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit REUTERS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting REUTERS.COM
Trending on DML News App
- BREAKING: Saudi-led coalition reports evidence indicating who’s to blame for oil plant attacks
- BREAKING: Dog The Bounty Hunter, 66, ‘suffers heart emergency’
- BREAKING: State of New York takes major action to get their hands on Trump’s tax returns
- REPORT: Fisherman catches strange, ‘dinosaur-like’ creature [PHOTO]
- REPORT: Transgender Worker Gets Fired After Telling Conservative Customer To ‘Get The F*ck Out’
- BREAKING: NASCAR champ, 61, dies in plane crash near Rhode Island
- POLL: Should Kavanaugh sue the New York Times?
- REPORT: Lindsey Graham makes vow amid calls for Kavanaugh impeachment
- VIDEO: The moment Christie Brinkley falls and breaks her arm, ending role on DWTS
- BREAKING: High school friend challenges story of Kavanaugh accuser Christine Blasey Ford