REPORT: Gov. Newsom to order halt to California’s death penalty
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by SFCHRONICLE.COM:
Gov. Gavin Newsom is suspending the death penalty in California, calling it discriminatory and immoral, and is granting reprieves to the 737 condemned inmates on the nation’s largest Death Row.
“I do not believe that a civilized society can claim to be a leader in the world as long as its government continues to sanction the premeditated and discriminatory execution of its people,” Newsom said in a statement accompanying an executive order, to be issued Wednesday, declaring a moratorium on capital punishment in the state. “The death penalty is inconsistent with our bedrock values and strikes at the very heart of what it means to be a Californian.”
The article goes on to state the following:
He plans to order an immediate shutdown of the death chamber at San Quentin State Prison, where the last execution was carried out in 2006. Newsom is also withdrawing California’s recently revised procedures for executions by lethal injection, ending — at least for now — the struggle by prison officials for more than a decade to devise procedures that would pass muster in federal court by minimizing the risk of a botched and painful execution.
His actions, disclosed to The Chronicle by an administration source late Tuesday, come in the wake of a pair of close but unsuccessful efforts by death penalty opponents to repeal the state law at the ballot box. The initiatives, both endorsed by Newsom, garnered 48 percent of the vote in 2012 and 47 percent four years later, when supporters of capital punishment won passage of a rival initiative aimed at speeding up executions. While that measure has reduced review of the execution process in state courts, California’s lethal-injection procedures are still being scrutinized in federal court.
CLICK THE LINK BELOW to read more of this report.
Gov. @GavinNewsom is suspending the death penalty in California, calling it discriminatory and immoral and granting reprieves to the 737 condemned inmates on the nation’s largest Death Row.
— San Francisco Chronicle (@sfchronicle) March 13, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit SFCHRONICLE.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting SFCHRONICLE.COM
Trending on DML News App
- REPORT: The Obamas are worth 30 times more than when they entered the White House their millions
- Media cries over Pelosi video
- CLAIM: Martin Luther King Jr had 40 affairs and laughed as friend raped woman
- VIDEO: 2020 candidate: There’s “no question” Trump faked a disability to avoid Vietnam war
- POLL: Should illegal alien get the death penalty
- Police are searching for a missing 5-year-old Utah girl. They said the case won’t end well
- VIDEO: Hillary Clinton: Donald Trump ‘Running Scared’ from Nancy Pelosi
- Video: Fox News host Jeanine Pirro says Nancy Pelosi needs “an intervention” and is “batty”
- REPORT: Playboy model is chased out of ultra-orthodox Jewish area in New York
- Teachers allegedly told to treat black students as ‘victims’, ‘punish’ whites