REPORT: GOP leader, Ocasio-Cortez give boost to lawmaker pay hike
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
Lawmakers say that any effort to give members of Congress a raise won’t pass unless both parties agree not to use the issue as a campaign weapon.
While no such agreement has been ironed out, there is a chance that there will be a bipartisan deal struck at some point this year.
The article goes on to state the following:
The effort got a significant boost Tuesday when House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) offered support for a pay bump, saying he doesn’t want Congress to be a place where only the wealthy can afford to serve.
Freshman progressive Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), meanwhile, forcefully made a case to her nearly 4.5 million Twitter followers, defending giving members of Congress the cost-of-living adjustment.
That came after House Democratic leaders pulled a spending bill from the floor on Monday that would allow lawmakers to get a pay raise for the first time in a decade.
At a press conference, McCarthy acknowledged the political sensitivity of a congressional raise but said it’s something legislators should consider.
CLICK THE LINK BELOW to read more of this report:
— The Hill (@thehill) June 12, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- REPORT: Teen goes berserk during graduation practice, stabs principal in chest
- VIDEO: Meghan Markle appears to be corrected by Prince Harry in viral Trooping the Colour video
- REPORT: Major retailer experiencing widespread register outages; customers irate
- Trump newest tweet warns of a stock market crash
- POLL: Is Fox Moving to the Left?
- REPORT: DOJ inspector general resolved ‘hang up’ on first Carter Page FISA application [VIDEO]
- REPORT: Jim Acosta’s Embarrassing Book Signing
- REPORT: Financial disclosure shows the millions of dollars Ivanka Trump earned from DC Trump hotel
- REPORT: Nationwide ‘Impeach Donald Trump’ Rallies Launch Saturday
- REPORT: NYPD cop identified who killed himself behind Staten Island precinct