REPORT: After Girl Held as ‘Slave’ for 16 Years in Texas, Captors Mohamed Toure and Wife get Light Sentence
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by THEROOT.COM:
Twenty years ago, Texas couple Mohamed Toure and Denise Cros-Toure found a young girl from their native Guinea to care for their youngest son. In January of 2000, happy with her work, they flew her to their family residence in Southlake, Texas, to continue her work. She did not speak English, and the couple did not enroll her in school.
Tuesday, the couple, who were arrested for forced labor of a domestic servant last year, was sentenced to seven years in prison and ordered to pay $288,620.24 in restitution to the girl, who was not named in the suit, according to a release from the Justice Department. Though both are lawful residents, their immigration status may be in limbo upon the completion of their sentences.
The article goes on to state the following:
“I hope that today’s sentence brings some measure of justice and healing to the victim, who suffered untold trauma as a result of the defendants’ heinous crimes,” Assistant Attorney General Eric Dreiband said in a news release. “The defendants stole her childhood and her labor for years, enriching themselves while leaving her with pain and an uncertain future.”
Mohamed Toure, his wife, Denise, of #Southlake sentenced on Monday to 7 yrs in federal prison for forced labor of young #African girl, face deportation: federal court. #Readlocalhttps://t.co/kxwbUXmgl2 pic.twitter.com/2uFCQtojrv
— domingo ramirez jr. (@mingoramirezjr) April 23, 2019
Suburban Fort Worth couple sentenced to seven years in federal prison each for enslaving a Guinean woman for 16 years. Mohamed Touré and Denise Cros-Touré are the son and daughter-in-law of the late Guinean President Ahmed Sekou Touré.https://t.co/vZuc0Hkonb
— AP Central U.S. (@APCentralRegion) April 23, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit THEROOT.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting THEROOT.COM
Trending on DML News App
- EXCLUSIVE: Comey responds after Trump orders declassification of surveillance documents
- BREAKING: Facebook announces decision on viral doctored Pelosi video
- POLL: Do you support Trump’s move to declassify documents related to the surveillance of his campaign?
- REPORT: Pelosi’s daughter launches Twitterstorm, rips altered videos
- BREAKING: Trump strikes, orders declassification of documents, cooperation with Barr
- VIDEO: White House aide points out ‘fake news’, calls for end to attempts to smear Trump
- REPORT: Mother and twin daughters starved to death in apartment
- REPORT: Schiff lambasts Trump’s order to intel agencies to cooperate with Barr probe
- BREAKING: Lone Republican blocks House passage of disaster relief bill
- REPORT: Brennan’s prized Russia informant suddenly imperiled by Barr’s new power