REPORT: France’s Macron startles allies and angers US officials with defense proposals
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
MUNICH — French President Emmanuel Macron’s attempt to increase European military independence from the United States while reaching out to Russia is irritating President Trump’s administration and stoking alarm in former Soviet nations.
“When you read what some French leaders say, they try to present the situation: We are European, [with] equal distance, political distance, to U.S. and to Russia,” Polish Foreign Minister Jacek Czaputowicz told the Washington Examiner in an exclusive interview. “I observe also a tendency to portray U.S. as a problem.”
The article goes on to state the following:
Skepticism and even fear about Macron’s bid for European leadership coursed around the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference, overshadowed by the China-related disputes between Washington and Europe that took center stage. After years of unease about Trump’s commitment to NATO’s Article 5 obligations being in vogue, Macron’s call for Europe to bolster defense plans with the goal of being able to break with the U.S. in major foreign policy disputes left U.S. officials fuming.
CLICK HERE to read more.
— Munich Security Conference (@MunSecConf) February 15, 2020
“In ten years time, I would like to see a #Europe that has enough leverage to act to be sovereign when it comes to policies, to technology, migration, defense, climate protection.” – @EmmanuelMacron at #MSC2020. @Elysee pic.twitter.com/wwyLxfSjcJ
— Munich Security Conference (@MunSecConf) February 17, 2020
How much ‚strategic autonomy’ does Europe want and US tolerate?
US and France map out their definitions of the ‚West‘ at Munich Security conference today.
US Secretary of State @mikepompeo, Defence Secretary Mark @EsperDoD and French President @EmmanuelMacron on stage today. pic.twitter.com/Erx5QolTY3
— Michaela Kuefner (@MKuefner) February 15, 2020
‘It is dangerous’: France’s Macron startles allies and angers US officials with defense proposals https://t.co/v0sysOrpzn
— Washington Examiner (@dcexaminer) February 17, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM
Trending on DML News App
- REPORT: UK’s Johnson gives update from hospital room after experiencing more coronavirus symptoms
- Submit News
- REPORT: Wells Fargo stops taking applications for Paycheck Protection Program loans
- REPORT: Japanese leader declares state of emergency as COVID-19 spreads
- BREAKING: WHO shares alarming warning on how coronavirus can spread
- TRUMP TWEET: Personal message for Dem rep who said he helped save her life
- REPORT: WHO director faces calls for resignation over handling of coronavirus, China
- BREAKING: Coronavirus death toll in USA reaches grim milestone, more fatalities than six wars combined
- REPORT: Country’s PM moved to ICU with worsening coronavirus symptoms. Secretary of state to stand-in
- REPORT: FDA to allow imports of KN95 masks from China amid PPE shortage