REPORT: First Iranian woman to win Olympic medal says she has defected
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by Axios:
Kimia Alizadeh, the first and only Iranian woman to win an Olympic medal, announced on Instagram Saturday that she has permanently left her home country, condemning the Iranian government for its “corruption and lies.”
What she’s saying: The 21-year-old Alizadeh, who won the bronze medal in taekwondo at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio, said she would always remain a “daughter of Iran,” but that she could no longer sit at the regime’s “table of hypocrisy, lies, injustice and flattery,” according to a CNN translation.
The article goes on to state the following:
- “I am one of the millions of oppressed women in Iran who they have been playing with for years,” Alizadeh wrote.
- “They took me wherever they wanted. I wore whatever they said. Every sentence they ordered me to say, I repeated. Whenever they saw fit, they exploited me.”
Alizadeh’s defection comes at a fraught moment for the Iranian government, which is facing growing domestic unrest over the downing of a Ukrainian commercial jet last week. Protests roiled the country this weekend, with many demonstrators calling for the resignation of top officials — including Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khameini.
To get more information about this article, please visit Axios. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting Axios
Trending on DML News App
- Gowdy comments on possible Bolton testimony: ‘Why’
- VIDEO: Why Ted Cruz should be leading Senate impeachment trial
- VIDEO: GOP senator calls CNN reporter a ‘liberal hack’ when asked about Parnas materials
- BREAKING: Senate gives major win to Trump, passes USMCA in sweeping vote, Schumer and Sanders reveal why they voted ‘no’
- TRUMP TWEET: Responds to Pelosi’s announcement on impeachment managers
- REPORT: Pelosi posts record fundraising haul for 2019
- REPORT: Artist paints Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton, AOC, other women as battered in campaign against domestic violence [PHOTOS]
- REPORT: Collins releases statement about calling witnesses for impeachment trial
- REPORT: DOJ investigating leaks on Russian document that influenced how Comey handled Clinton emails
- REPORT: MSNBC Host Accuses CNN Of Bringing On Liars, Supporting Trump