REPORT: FDA-approved hydroxychloroquine trials lack COVID-19 volunteers
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by ABCNews.GO.com:
A Minnesota doctor is calling on healthcare workers and people who have tested positive for COVID-19 and are showing early symptoms of infection to participate in two of the first trials of the malaria drug Hydroxychloroquine to treat coronavirus patients.
Dr. David Boulware, an infectious disease specialist from the University of Minnesota, is one of the first doctors to receive approval from the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) to conduct a pair of clinical trials of the drug, which has been heavily promoted by President Trump as a potential antidote to the outbreak.
The article goes on to state the following:
The first trial will be comprised primarily of healthcare workers and others with a high risk of exposure to the virus, while the second will be open to the general public who have already tested positive for COVID-19. Hydroxychloroquine is being studied both as a way to prevent COVID-19 infection as well as a way to treat people who are already sick.
Dr. Boulware needs volunteers, however: 1500 volunteers for the first trial, and the same amount for the second trial. In the week since he obtained FDA approval, just 411 have come forward for the first trial and only 25 for the second.
Boulware said information about the trials may be obtained by emailing [email protected].
Healthcare workers and others with a high risk of exposure to the virus, as well as anyone who has recently tested positive (within four days of the test), can learn more about the trials by emailing [email protected]https://t.co/1jMbKmz8oP
— KSTP (@KSTP) March 25, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit ABCNews.GO.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting ABCNews.GO.com
Trending on DML News App
- UPDATE: Gov. Cuomo speaks on brother’s coronavirus diagnosis
- BREAKING: Appeals Court issues ruling on Texas abortion ban during COVID-19 pandemic
- REPORT: Stunning graphs predict when COVID-19 deaths, needs will peak in every state
- TRUMP TWEET: Taunts Nancy Pelosi about MSNBC interview [VIDEO]
- FOX NEWS: Doctor reveals results of promising drug that may help treat COVID19 (video)
- VIDEO: Rachel Maddow’s attempt to slam Trump over hospital ships backfires
- Submit News
- REPORT: California emergency manager is caught sunbathing on an empty beach
- VIDEO: Secretary of State Mike Pompeo addresses the press amid Trump impeachment inquiry
- REPORT: Obama lashes out after administration rollback of emission standards as Trump praises move