REPORT: Facebook official responds to Maxine Waters on cryptocurrency project
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
David Marcus, the head of Facebook’s new cryptocurrency project, Libra, assured Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) that the company is “taking the time to do this right” after a group of Democratic lawmakers, including Waters, called for Facebook to halt its plans.
In a letter to Waters and other top members of the House Financial Services Committee, Marcus defended Libra’s mission and vowed to answer policymakers’ “important questions,” according to a copy of the letter obtained by The Hill on Tuesday ahead of planned hearings on the issue.
The article goes on to state the following:
“I want to give you my personal assurance that we are committed to taking the time to do this right,” Marcus wrote.
The letter, dated July 3, is addressed to the group of Democratic lawmakers who last week called for a moratorium on Facebook’s Libra project. The House Financial Services Committee members, including Democratic Reps. Carolyn Maloney (N.Y.), Wm. Lacy Clay (Mo.), Al Green (Texas) and Stephen Lynch (Mass.) as well as Waters, panned Facebook’s history of privacy scandals and the potential for its new cryptocurrency to attract hackers.
Their letter called for Facebook to “cease implementation plans until regulators and Congress have an opportunity to examine these issues and take action,” saying a failure to do so “risks a new Swiss-based financial system that is too big to fail.”
— The Hill (@thehill) July 9, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: CBS’s Gayle King asks Pressley whether calling Trump ‘occupant’ of the Oval Office is respectful
- VIDEO: ‘Morning Joe’ drags out nearly 30-yr-old footage of Trump with Jeffrey Epstein at Mar-a-Lago party
- REPORT: Republican support for Trump shifts after his ‘go back’ tweets
- BREAKING: Major development in sexual assault case against actor Kevin Spacey
- BREAKING: Judge makes sudden announcement on probe tied to Trump hush-money payments
- REPORT: NBC Fails To Mention Democrat Who Entered Mar-A-Lago Alongside Epstein In 1992
- REPORT: Here are the 95 Democrats who voted to support impeachment
- IMPORTANT: Facebook Hits DML with Hate Violation. Here’s what happens next
- BREAKING: Results: House votes on resolution to impeach Trump
- REPORT: House Dems Unload On ‘The Squad’ — ‘It Makes People’s Skin Crawl’