REPORT: Egg prices skyrocket as a result of Coronavirus
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
The egg industry has ratcheted up prices in response to short supplies and heavy demand from panic-buying consumers during the coronavirus outbreak.
CNN reported Wednesday that wholesale egg prices have increased 180 percent since the beginning of March, which the Department of Agriculture noted in its weekly report. Sales of the product are up 44 percent over this time last year, according to Nielsen data.
The article goes on to state the following:
“Shell eggs are clearing retail outlets at a brisk pace and grocers are seeing little necessity in conducting feature campaigns as the product is virtually selling itself,” the Department of Agriculture said.
A spokesperson from one supermarket chain told CNN, “It is unconscionable that the egg industry has doubled prices because of increased demand. It is hitting low-income New Yorkers the hardest, as so many have lost their jobs working in restaurants and hotels.”
Americans are stockpiling eggs during the coronavirus crisis as they cook more meals at home. That’s leading to supply shortages and a spike in prices at some supermarkets. https://t.co/9Uqy768rKR
— CNN (@CNN) March 25, 2020
— The Hill (@thehill) March 25, 2020
Mobile location data shows just how much travel has dropped in the age of coronavirushttps://t.co/xHeratum37
— DMLNewsApp (@DMLNewsApp) March 25, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News App
- REPORT: New ‘hot spot’ state: Coronavirus cases jump 42 percent in one day
- REPORT: Romney joins Dem senator to send ‘warning’ to Trump
- REPORT: Scientists warn about one way COVID-19 can be transmitted
- VIDEO: Healthy 39-year-old DJ died of coronavirus. What his young widow and daughter want you to know [PHOTOS]
- REPORT: Republicans rip ‘partisan’ Pelosi panel on coronavirus response: ‘This isn’t about oversight’
- REPORT: Experts, Trump advisers doubt White House coronavirus deaths estimate
- VIDEO: Bernie Sanders snaps at crying baby at campaign event
- REPORT: Biden Has Earned 11 Pinocchios From Fact-Checkers During Coronavirus Crisis
- VIDEO: WWII veteran recovers from coronavirus in time to celebrate 104th birthday [PHOTOS]
- REPORT: TWO cops from same police department die of COVID-19 on the same day [PHOTOS]