REPORT: Diplomat explains why Tehran came clean about downed plane: ‘They can’t cover up anymore’
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
Iran confessed to shooting down a Ukrainian passenger jet because it couldn’t keep lying about it, a foreign diplomat said. In an abrupt reversal for a regime at first intent on evading responsibility for the tragedy, Tehran admitted early Saturday that its Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps accidentally shot down the jet.
“They understood that they can’t cover up anymore,” a Central European diplomat told the Washington Examiner.
The article goes on to state the following:
“They are not as good at disinformation as Russians are,” the Central European diplomat said.
After the crash, Iranian officials blamed mechanical error. Soon after the US and other nations revealed that intelligence officials believed a surface-to-air missile shot the plane down.
“Iran abandoned the subterfuge…as videos of the incident circulated online,” the Examiner reported.
“The evidence was mounting up, and Iranians understood that they either admit or start blunt lies and denial,” the diplomat told the Examiner.
Iran has admitted that IRGC anti-aircraft unit shot the airplane hours after they launched ballistic missiles at U.S. forces in Iraq, putting the Iranian military on high alert. An Iranian officer operating the anti-aircraft missiles fired due to a glitch in communications that meant he couldn’t consult with commanders, the IRGC said.
“Either the jamming system was busy or the network was busy, it couldn’t communicate in any way,” Amir Ali Hajizadeh, IRGC commander of the aerospace division said on state-run media. “In this situation, he had five seconds to make a decision. Unfortunately, he made the bad decision and shot the missile and hit the plane.”
176 civilians died.
63 Canadians, 82 Iranians, 11 Ukrainians, 10 Swedes, four Afghans, three Germans, and three British nationals were killed in the tragic downing of the passenger plane.
To get more information about this article, please visit WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News App offered you the above aggregated article preview as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world about news, events, and politics. We encourage you to obtain additional information by visiting WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM
Trending on DML News App
- VIDEO: Chaffetz weighs in as media heaps praise on Adam Schiff
- EXCLUSIVE: Fox News to host town hall for 2020 Dem candidate… again
- VIDEO: Dad Confronts Warren On Student Loan Forgiveness
- TRUMP TWEETS: Mocks Bloomberg, who quickly responds
- REPORT: Canadian-born singer celebrates new US citizenship beside voter registration booth [PHOTO]
- VIDEO: Massive brawl at college game goes viral
- REPORT: Lindsey Graham reports record fundraising haul in fourth quarter
- THEY WON’T STOP: Kevin McCarthy Says Democrats Want To DESTROY President Trump
- TRUMP TWEETS: Unleashes on Schiff and Dems over impeachment trial in major Twitterstorm
- VIDEO: California man dies after hurtling 400 feet across river in his Mercedes after 100 mph police chase